Cracked head on MerCruiser 350 mag

marlattted

Recruit
I recently found out that my motor didn't survive the winter. I forgot to take off the plug and the engine compartment filled with water and I guess froze and long story short the head is cracked. What is the best way to find a used motor to replace the existing MerCruiser 350 mag and is it worth the trouble and money trying to fix something like that on an older 1993 Chaparrel?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cracked head on MerCruiser 350 mag

Let me help you with my experiance. I bought a used 350 mag, and it turned out to have a dead cylinder. So either rebuild yours, and buy a set of heads for it, or, if you do decide to buy used, make sure you check compression and all before exchanging money. I wasted nearly $1000 before I finally gave up and built a whole other engine from scratch.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cracked head on MerCruiser 350 mag

Oh and on a side note, if I had the choice, I would get my old 92 Chap back and get rid of my current boat. So you have to decide what its worth to you. You can probably rebuild your own engine for less than $1500.

Jt6161

Recruit
Was running today on open water after being at A beach. Beeping noise came on. Shut engine down and I got a tow. Some white smoke came out of it. After getting it back to dock. I started it. It did start up and no white smoke. Flushing? Head cracked? Any input is good