1988 Chaparral 187XL

Robo

Cadet
I was wondering how I could find out some specifications on the boat I just purchased. The size of the fuel tank (gas gauge doesn't work), home many gallons per hour I should get with a 4.3L mercrusier, oil to use, etc.<br /><br />The gas gauge works when removing the sending wire and attaching either 12V or Ground. It is something with the sending unit or the ground wire. The gauge reads empty.<br /><br />Thanks for you help.

Robo

Cadet
Re: 1988 Chaparral 187XL

OOPS! It should read how many gallons per hour. Sorry for the typo.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hint: You can use 'Edit Post' at any time on your own postings.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a 1990 brochure covering the Chaparral range.<br /><br />The 187XL came with bow cusions, canvas-top, fully carpeted, with glove box, back-to-back seats, padded sports steering-wheel, storage locker under bow cusions, ski storage in floor, three tone vinyl interior, accent exterior stripes, two tone deck gelcoat, aluminum rubrail with vinyl insert, stainless steel boarding ladder + bow & stern eyes + cleats + deck hardware + stern rails, teak dive platform, black framed walk-through windshield, individually fused accessory panel, electric bilge pump, battery box, DC connector, full instrumentation, stereo w/ cassette, stainless steel horn, water resistant speakers, canvas pack, mooring cover, outboard package, bucket seats in lieu of standard.<br /><br />LOA is 18'11´"<br />Centerline is 17'8"<br />Beam is 7'2"<br />Approx. weight is 1500 lbs.<br />Fuel capacity is 25 gal.<br />Max. HP is 150<br />Bridge clearance is 3'5"<br />Deadrise at transom is 17<br />Draft down/up is 31"/15"<br /><br />It is shown in the brochure in the colors plum & white.<br /><br />There's also a couple of pages telling about Chaparral boats and the way they build it in general.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your problem is the gas gauge you will find they are fairly universal.

You have done the first part of the diagnosis by connecting the sending wire to 12v and ground. The problem is probably in the sender. With the sender wire connected to the sender do you get 12v, 0v, or some fixed value in between?

Check the ground wire on the sender. Is the case at 0V? If not, your problem is there.

The sender can be removed fairly easily. If you have an ohm meter measure the resistance as you move the float up and down. Does it go down and up? If you reconnect to the gauge (and ground the case with a jumper) does the gauge work? If so, maybe the float doesn't.

If you find the sender is bad go to your local boat store (or check here at iboats). Here is the link on iboats for the sender you probably have http://www.iboats.com/mall/?category_id=216660&cart_id=906366055&session_id=818795330&view_id=40371