Live well pump

breadman

Cadet
Hi just bought a 88 champion and it looks like its going to need new areators and was hoping someone could tell me where there located?

Re: Live well pump

The bubble pump is on the left side, under the rear hatch, betwenn the sidewall and the gas tank.......I did a re plumb of my live wells and all pumps.

garym4187

Recruit

I know the 89 champion I have has one pump to pull fresh water to the live wells,and also a bilge pump. Does it have another pump in the rear to pump water out through the check valve exit piping? When i circulate it only fills.

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should have a plug in the bottom of the live well , just reach in the live well and pull the plug and let it drain .

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Raise the lids on your rear compartments and shine a light down in the bottom of the hull in the very back of the boat . The aerator is simply a small electric pump that pumps fresh water into your well / I replaced my last one with a pump I bought at walmart for 18 bucks . Walmart has two sizes , I bought the smaller one , it pumps more than enough water and is easier to install in tight places . The pipe on the new pump that goes through the rear of the boat is longer than what you will need . After you get it installed you just cut off the extra on the outside of the boat . Be sure to silicone everything good under the big plastic washer that screws onto the pipe outside the boat , and don't get too strong with tightening the big washer . They will break .

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most front live wells don't have a pump . You simply pull the plug out from inside the live well and let it fill up . You leave the plug out of the front well while you are fishing or whatever , so fresh water can circulate in and out of the well to keep your fish lively . Just make sure you put the plug in the well while your running down the lake , or the water will drain out of it and leave your fish in the dry . The reason the rear well has a pump is because it sits too high in your boat to make a fresh water port possible directly through the hull . I allways turn my rear well aerator on every 20 or 30 minutes and let it run for 3 or 4 minutes to put some fresh water in on the fish and keep them lively , no need to run it constantly . Of course you will need to put the plug in and leave it in on the rear well while in use , since the pump does all of the work on it , it has an exit line in the top of the well that will let water out while the pump is putting fresh water in . When you have finished your fishing ,trailered your boat , and taken all of them 10 pounders out of your well just reach inside your well and pull the plug and let it drain . One thing you might think about when running your rear well is to check it and not just leave it on for a long time . I learned a long time ago that your fish can , and will ,stick their nose in the exhaust line and run the well over in your floor .:eek: