Penta DP Tilt issue

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trim works on my Penta, buy my Tilt does not. The P.O. told me it had a bad sensor on the motor for the gauge not work. Could this be related? What sensor would he be talking about?

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So there is a sensor somewhere on the lower unit that controls the tilt gauge. Does this also control tilt vs trim? How else does the pump know how far to stop for trim. I was told by the previous owner the sensor was bad. Which makes sense because the gauge doesnt work with trim.

Is there a seperate ram for tilt?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No, your DP-C has two rams. the sensor is inside the boat, driven by a star wheel thru a shaft in the steering yoke. there is a toothed segment that is bolted to the steering helmet that drives the star wheel.

the sensor then sends a signal to the gauge (my guess square with LCD readout) which in turn commands the trip point for the tilt vs trim relay. your hand control should have an override switch under the cross-bar somewhere to operate in the tilt area.

without the gauge working (could be sensor, most likely gauge) the system will think you are in the tilt zone all the time, requiring the over-ride to raise the drive.

The sensor assembly is in the upper right window, the toothed segment is just below that.

I highly (ok, Strongly) recommend downloading your manual http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/Pages/publication_search.aspx

10317_1.png 10317_1.png

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will check it out and report back. My boat has a round gauge with a needle that rotates up or down for tilt. Its stuck at the top point. But does flicker a bit when i turn the key on.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my handle has no overide button i can find. So i havent been able to tilt yet. Is there anyway to test the sending unit?

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could you help me find the right manual, When i got to my paticular boat. It is a 5.8FL Penta DP-C1. 1995, they dont have a manual, just a brochure. I would love to have a specific DP-C1 manual.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
boat manufactures do not have manuals. only the motor and drivelines do. you have a volvo penta drive. go to the link I posted prior and download your drive manual. if you cant find the drive manual under your 5.8 liter, look at the 5.7 liter (same drive). the volvo penta drive manual has your troubleshooting for the trim system.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would also suggest PMing a moderator to move this thread to the Volvo Penta forum. you will get much more traffic

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well this device seems to be the culprit. The previous owner cut a wire, that allows the boat to go through the entire range just using the trim buttons. The trim module has a burn hole in it. I have verified that the trim sensor is working still. I have also verified that the gauge runs to the module as do the trim sensors.

20150722_162845_zpsdzo5ghqz.jpg

20150722_162854_zpsicum9cf6.jpg

20150722_162850_zps2wmo2c7p.jpg

This is a picture of the motor "trimmed" all the way up. again i think with the cut wire from the P.O., it just allows full adjustability with no limits. the pump will dead head up if i hold the button all the way up.

20150722_172026_zpszwhbnl68.jpg

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone help me find one of these. I cannot find the exact one. i have a analog gauge in my dash that works with it.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the last picture of the lower unit look like its in the full up position? Or should it go higher?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looks almost to the top of its limit. it would hit the transom shield otherwise.

the instructions for setting the angle are in the service manual. did you download it yet

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The control units are around, not cheap, and not the greatest operational longevity ...

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya i just picked one up last night for $150 used. Sucks that they have a history of going out. I hope i get some life out of this new one. I was just hoping the previous owner had done something wrong to cause it to short out.