Celebrity BR Floor Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JorgeE

Seaman
We have a 1989 224SE Bow Rider, and I've discovered that there is rotting on the floor under the port bow seat. Previous owner had "replaced" the floor, but he only replaced part of it! We love the boat, so I would lilke to repair it, but am unfamiliar with how the floor is constructed in the open bow area, and don't know whether it is a repair I can do myself.
Question: Does anyone know whether the wood floor extends all the way across the bow area, including under the fiberglass floor that is part of the bow seats' structure? or is wood floor only used under the two bow seats?
If it extends all the way across, I can't see how one would replace the portion that is in the center, since the wook floor would be sandwiched between the stringers and the FG floor between the bow seats.
Thank you.
Jorge

Last edited:
Re: Celebrity BR Floor Construction

Not an answer however, I too have an 89 celebrity with some bad wood and soft spot in the front bow section. We bought the boat last year and absolutely love it. The previous owner mentioned the soft spot in the bow. He cut the carpet and installed a plate (the size of the floor area) over the spot and then reattached the carpet. I personally want to replace the bow storage boxes and the repair the floor so I am interested to see what kind of answer you get. (Sorry not much help) There was a picture on here from about a year or two ago of a guy who redid his 18' celebrity and he showed the floor construction in the bow area. I believe his post name is Danstroup284 or something like that. It's in the boat repairs forum I think.

JorgeE

Seaman

celebrity89199:
Let's hope someone out there had more knowledge than we do. I think I saw the repairs on the 18' model you mention, but in that boat, the "bow storage boxes" (maybe not the correct term, but it's a clear description) were wooden, and appeared to be separate form the deck.
On the 224SE (not sure about other 1989 Celebrity boats) the bow seats are a one piece fiberglass that comes from the rub rail all the way to the floor. I'll try to post some photos soon (probably Monday due to schedule), do the same if you get a chance. I'll also try to post some on the "let's see your Celebrity" thread.
I tried to prevent further damage in the soft spots: Peeled what I could to expose, placed furring strips to "bridge" the bad spots, covered the whole area with house wrap plastic (keeps more water from getting in, but allows evaporation to go through) then covered with PT plywood. We're ready for the season, then in fall we'll really get to work on it.
We absolutely love ours. Planning for 1st time Saturday July 5. I saw what the 199 looks like; I have a friend that has a 1988 (I think) 187 or 199 and he lovingly calls his the "banana boat" because of the slope in the rear; they are nice looking boats. Ours has the square stern, which I also like very much.
Have fun on the water!
Jorge

My-SS

Cadet

I replaced the floor in my 84 BR. It had been done before also.
The previous job, they took the top 1/2 off the hull..I didn't since bow area was ok...
But to answer your question wood runs all wat forward..only way to get to it completly is remove the top from the bow...IF you do this , I HIGHLY recomend using a foam core board.. Stong as a elephant, 4 x 8 sheet weighs about 39 lbs...NO MORE ROT>>EVER !!!

JorgeE

Seaman

My-SS,
Thanks for the answer you gave me some time ago about the floor. I looked mor eclosely and you are 100% right about the wood going all the way across.
I looked at what you did on your boat and it looks fantastic. In a few years I imagine I'll need to do something similar to the interior, but for now I'm looking at the floor.
I'm evaluating several options, including CCA treated plywood that has been kiln dried after treatment, which allows epoxy to stick to it well.
I did some searching some time ago, and I found some fiberglass reinforced urethane foam board, but it was a couple of hundred dollars a sheet, and I'll need to use 3-4 sheets to do the boat, so cost-wise it's a little high for me.
I also want to look at the foam board you mention; Where did you get it from ? and do you remember how much it was?
I did a search, but not sure I found the right stuff.
Thank you.
Jorge

Paul Bell

Seaman

We have a 1989 224SE Bow Rider, and I've discovered that there is rotting on the floor under the port bow seat. Previous owner had "replaced" the floor, but he only replaced part of it! We love the boat, so I would lilke to repair it, but am unfamiliar with how the floor is constructed in the open bow area, and don't know whether it is a repair I can do myself.
Question: Does anyone know whether the wood floor extends all the way across the bow area, including under the fiberglass floor that is part of the bow seats' structure? or is wood floor only used under the two bow seats?
If it extends all the way across, I can't see how one would replace the portion that is in the center, since the wook floor would be sandwiched between the stringers and the FG floor between the bow seats.
Thank you.
Jorge
I am in the processs of removing my floor with soft spots 224se. The wood extends all the way into bow.Surprising is the cavitys where foam was not present and water must not have escaped.I am trying to leave bow benches in place.Center seems solid up there.It appears as well as this boat has been built the floor was never well sealed and water could not easily escape.

Paul Bell

Seaman

well the adventure continues.the entire decking has been removed.The frames are solidly filled with foam at the surface I can see some decomposed wood and signs of more significant water damage. The foam seems dry to the touch however doing the PVC pipe punch through into the foam it is apparent that the foam is wet. I cant believe with all that was put into the construction of this boat that there is no where for the water to go if gets below the deck. Each cavity has foam that is quite wet and water trapped within. Why dont they build these with an ability to drain??? Now the foam must come out and there is no easy way to remove the foam but to break it apart.I also see now the gas tank will need to be drained and removed to get the needed access to the framing.I will do 1 side at a time.My floor with a couple small soft spots is perpetually showing greater issues needing to be addressed. Iwas planning this to be a nice fun winter project. I will try to keep these posts updated as the R&R continues.

JorgeE

Seaman

Hey Paul!
I learned that yes, the floor does go all the way across. It appears that the stringers and floor are OK in the bow area, except under the port bow seat, so I may not have to do much/any work up there - not sure yet. My thinking is to open her up and leave her that way for a long time, then used CPES in the edges of where wood goes form damaged to sound, and replace only the damaged portions. This is a whimpy approach to avoid removing the deck.
How did you get the deck off? that really intimidates me. How heavy was it (rough estimate)? Was it flimsy (risk damage) or was it pretty strong?
I went to a fiberglass repair place in the area with an impeccable reputation and they told me that they would not replace the bow area floor, only the damaged area. They also told me that the tank would have to come out (great! while winterizing I filled it - all 69 gallons!) to repair the main stringer and bulkheads. They quoted me $3500 - so I'm diong the work myself, and will probably make some minor changes in the process.
By the way, I found a place near Sandusky OH that sells CCA treated marine plywood that is kil-dried AFTER treatment for $53 a sheet. Don't know where you are, but I'm about 4 hours form the place and am planning on getting 4-6 sheets to make the floor and maybe for laminating for stringer material.
Here's their link:
http://marine-plywood.us/douglas fir.htm#BC_Pressure
There is also a place in Portlans OR in cased you're closer to them:
http://www.greenwoodproducts.com/xlpanels.htm
Let me know what you've learned so far, looks like you're a little ahead of me.
Thank you!!!
JorgeE

Paul Bell

Seaman

Hi Jorge,great minds think alike or is it sick minds.. whatever, I have a lot of hours logged last few weeks and I think there may be hope.I did not remove the top half hull but cut out all flooring up to the fiberglass bow walkway which amazingly seems solid.Bow flooring under seats was soft so i cut that out.The foam was saturated as each section is fiberglassed tight with no drain capability.Top of stringers and braces need replacing or reinforcing but much is salvageable as things are now drying out.The tops of stringers and bracing are damaged where fiberglass stopped but can be strengthened up.
I really keep my boat dry under shore station canopy and inside winters but my floor had been poorly resin coated and water in carpeting soaked through.Foam seemed dry but the PVC pipe core sample revealed the moisture issues.I will use plywood to replace or strengthen the bad.I love the quality of this boat but why the skeleton is designed this way i just dont know. Any water on deck penetrating will be held in the foam.I learned much from this site.I need to post a few pics of this endeavor. I live in northern Illinois and need to look for a supplier like you mentioned.Keep your progress posted and thanks for your reply.

Paul Bell

Seaman

Your question of removing the deck I used a circular saw set at 3/4 depth and went all the way around after inside gunnels and everything else was removed which leaves about 1 inch of the outer edge around the perimeter of decking intact for use in replacing.A dremel with a cutting blade did the corners and tight places.After your carpeting comes up you can assess if it all needs to come up.A large sheet covers the tank and that lifted right off and was not well sealed.'This is definatly a physical job as much efforts are needed to get this up but dont let me discourage you.I like to have a project to do during the winter. This just turned to be a little more than expected.

JorgeE

Seaman

Hi Paul,
We crossed wires a little... I thought you'd removed the "cap". I would like to remove it to replace all the flooring, but that's what intimidates me so I plan on doing the same as you. Sounds like extent of damage is pretty close on both boats.
Previousd owner was pretty meticulous about some things, not about others. He told us: "... floor was soft, so it was replaced... carpeting was not used as it holds water, plastic decking was used instead..." Effect of plastic decking is that floor felt very solid while it was crumbling underneath, and not all the floor was replaced, only part of it. Not sure if he was duped, or he duped us... almost irrelevant since effect is same on us.
I'll have little trouble removing old floor, I think I can put my finger through some areas. Might have little trouble getting into tight spots in bow area (I'm not a small guy at 240 Lbs), but I think it will be OK.
Bottom line is we love the boat and we'll get it done.

What year is your 224SE?
Are you the original owner? If not, and you don't have info on boat, I have the 1989 Celebrity pamhlet and scanned it; it's a series or large files, but could be put on a CD. Owner gave us pamphlet, owner's manual, mercruiser info, even the original sales receipt!

I'm wondering whether a thread should be started in an are other than the Celebrity area.

Thanks for the info and advice; let me know how it comes along. I'm still in the "enclosing back porch" stage - enclosing it with clear plastic to keep elements out as much as possible. I'll post photos (of boat) as soon as I have some.

Take care,

JorgeE

Paul Bell

Seaman

IMG00020[1].jpg I hope this photo comes through. Let me know.
A few others I took exceeded file limit size for this forum.
Once the floor comes up you will see as in this pic that there are many compartments that each are fiberglassed tight so any water that ever got in is probably still there.Its freightening to see at first but as all the foam is removed and things get a chance to dry a little hope should appear.These compartments need to allow water to pass through and drain to the bilge. The newer closed cell foam is not supposed to hold water.My foam seemed dry above but was saturated below.I have taken a few other pics along the way if I can figure how to get on board here.
I am the second owner of this 89 224se. It sat indoors for 2 yrs before it was repo,d by the bank I bought it from.I also have original paperwork. I have had I think about 7 boats over the years with this the longest by far.It really is perfect for where I live on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Il. Big enough to not get killed in busy boating area yet small enough to pull me up slalom at 220lbs. It has the 350 Mag 270 horse Alpha one drive and has been an excellent Boat last 12 yrs.It still turns heads as a beautiful classic.

Attachments

• IMG00021[1].jpg
    IMG00021[1].jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 15

Paul Bell

Seaman

Send me your email address and I can send a few other photos that are are just over the limit in size for a JPG image for this site (whatever that means)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul - Riva MD

Recruit
Hey. 12 years later and your posts are incredibly helpful to me. I'm a first time boat owner and I just bought a 1996 Celebrity BR 19'. Are you guys able to answer a couple of questions?

The gas tank has a wide port at the top... is that a vent? There's a small pool of gas at the bottom of the port hole that I can reach down and touch. (also wood debris in there). Gas tank is full. Is that normal?

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.