Powering up! What to do?

Hallo

Cadet
I purchased a 1993 Celebrity Status 240 Cuddy in november of 2007
had it out for a spin twice now and as great as it is i know it can do better
i can only get it to 42 miles per hour. It has a 350 merc 4 barrel with a Alpha I and a SS prop. With weight and motor i think it could go 50+ maybe an adjustment or two? Any suggestion from the boat gods would be helpful.
Anyone know about thru hull exhaust need your help to. My pics are posted here. Thanks for any help.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Powering up! What to do?

HALLO, Great boat,but if your looking for a go-fast why did you buy a cuddy cabin, Celebritys are well made boats so for that you gain weight,alot of weight. plus are you trimming it correctly? is the prop sized correctly? theres alot of reasons it only does 42...plus if thats the speed recorded by the speedo on the dash or GPS......Need more input

Hallo

Cadet

Trimming fine, wasn't looking for a go fast boat just want it to do the speed it's suppose to do. Prop is a Stiletto performance 10319M419 Dealer said it may be the props pitch i should be getting at least fifty and he said with the rpm's i'm turning it should go faster then what i'm seeing but he couldn't be exacted unless he was in the water with it to see what it feels to him also the way i describe about the shifter he thinks it was fooled with some where do line. It engages fine but you move it about an 1inch and a half more forward before the boat starts to move an then another inch and a half when i'm maxed out no more throttle. Thanks for the respond though. Speed is being rocorded by the speedometer.

BigSteve1967

Seaman Apprentice

with what you described with the shifter it sounds like either you need to adjust or replace the lower shift cable, as for speed if you can get ahold of a 17 pitch prop that may give you the little bit you are looking for, plus you need to play with the trim and see if trimming it up or down gives you any better performance. My 210V with a 305 mercruiser and alpha 1 drive pushes the boat to 46mph on my GPS and that is more than enough for me, because I never wanted speed I wanted a super solid boat to put my family on.

Steve