1967 Cathedral Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohldad

Cadet
Looking at getting into a boat again and was just surfing the web looking at different things. Then I decided to check out and see what I could find on Thunderbirds since I grew up camping on one, skiing behind it, diving off of it, and teaching my kids to ski behind it. This is how I found this forum.

My father purchased the boat second hand in 1969 from the original owner in Brunswick, NJ who custom ordered the boat. My father had a custom double roller trailer custom built so he could bring it home to SC. Between uses, it was stored under a shed so it is still in very good condition with original floor and motor.

I've often refer it as a Flipper Boat, but this one is has two side windows on the cabin. It also has what we believe to be a rare 289 Harmon & Moody Blueprint engine. Original it came with a Volvo-Penta 170 outdrive, but we upgraded to a 270 the last time we blew the lower gear set.

Only now that I've done some searching, do I realize how rare it is to still have the boat, much less in great running condition.

Favorite thing we love to do with the boat is go wave riding. When we hear the last of the other boats come off the lake because it is getting too rough, we know it's time to head out. Three to four feet with whitecaps is just about idea to idle into the waves as the kids sit on the bow stradding a hand rail support.

I'll try to dig some pics up next time I am at my father's house as I'm sure there is at least someone who would like to see some.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1967 Cathedral Thunderbird

You do have a rare boat. I love the old Thunderbirds, I have a 69 Seminole outboard. I think that you will find the engine to be by Holman & Moody out of Charlotte, NC. They were the premier Ford Nascar racing shop in the 60s. I would ceretainly like to see pictures of your boat.

Rodge55

Recruit

You do have a rare boat. I love the old Thunderbirds, I have a 69 Seminole outboard. I think that you will find the engine to be by Holman & Moody out of Charlotte, NC. They were the premier Ford Nascar racing shop in the 60s. I would ceretainly like to see pictures of your boat.

Hey Guys,
I am using my Father-in-Law's boat. I believe it is a 1969 Thunderbird, but cannot find a model number on it anywhere. It has a 115ESL69E Johnson on it. My FIL doesn't remember for sure what year the boat is. I have written the boat manufacturer but then ran into this thread.

There is a tag on the rear of the passenger area that shows a serial number, and weight capacity of 1000 lbs. Which if it is a 1969, then the website fiberglassicsDotCom leads me to believe it is a Sioux or Seminole. I see you have a '69 Seminole. Any Pics?

I tried to upload a pic of Dad's boat but not successful.

Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have not visited the cathedral thunderbird forum for awhile. Gary - if you are still interested in pictures I can post some for you.

sngetchis

Recruit
We have a rare one too!!!!! Just purchased a 1967 Thunderbird Cathedral Tri Hull last summer! Looking on this forum to get info....trying to find out how much its worth! Its in mint condition....original seats! Has a 1973 Mercury 150 hp on it! We LOVE it. So many memories! If you ever come across the thunderbird logo, I need 2 new ones for the sides of the boat! The stick of the d is broken off! If you have found any more information on yours please post. Not too much out there! Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have a rare one too!!!!! Just purchased a 1967 Thunderbird Cathedral Tri Hull last summer! Looking on this forum to get info....trying to find out how much its worth! Its in mint condition....original seats! Has a 1973 Mercury 150 hp on it! We LOVE it. So many memories! If you ever come across the thunderbird logo, I need 2 new ones for the sides of the boat! The stick of the d is broken off! If you have found any more information on yours please post. Not too much out there! Thanks!

sngetchris - Please don't post in old threads. Start a new topic. Also we don't allow soliciting in any form in these forums. Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
sngechis, please remember not to post into topics that have been inactive for more then 90days.

This topic is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.