cathedral thunderbird boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

1sttimeowner

Seaman Apprentice
I found a cathedral thunderbird boat for sale today,has anyone ever heard of them?

69thunderbird

Recruit
Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

My first boat 1969 Thunderbird Comanche. It's 18' 7" has 200hp Mercruiser straight 6. Still have it. Do you know the old TV show Flipper? The boat used on that program was a 23 footer.

sreiner

Cadet

We have six of them in my family so I have some experience with them. They are great boats. They are built very solid and heavy. They are very stable on the water, but pound a bit in the chop. If you are looking for a good fishing boat, you won't be disappointed. They are some of the best.

18ft3hull

Seaman

my first boat was a 1969 tri hull thunderbird with a 115 chrysler out board the original owner had a pic of it pulling 6 skiers

iggy559

Recruit

i just bought one yesterday for 500 buck from a lean yard. i was looking for info and stumble upon this post. im new to boating all i know it a Thunderbird with a trihull design. upon looking it up it might be a Thunderbird Comanche but i cant find picture anywhere. all i know is it a i/o mercruiser stright six i don't even know the horsepower in it can you guy help

Trauma King

Cadet

I picked up a 1972 the other day with a Merc in line 6

mine is an Apache = 19 feet

find out the length and you can figure out which model.

MRS

Commander

I have a 69 17' Thunderbird seminole 4cyl. merc120. My friend bought it brand new in 1969 sold it to another friend who sold it to me. I have alot of fishing and ski time in this boat.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just in case anyone is still watching this thread, I just bought a 19' Cheyenne. It needs a lot of work but I already have found out that it actually looks quite a bit worse than it is.

If any of you guys want to trade info, please feel free to PM me. I'll be checking the new forum in a minute too.

DSC_1406R600copy.jpg

DSC_1405R600.jpg

PS: Oops, I see that I am already here ... I found this thread while doing a google search trying to find info on the boat.

PS: I found out awhile ago that my boat is actually a Commanche, not a Cheyenne. They are very similar in appearance, but the Commanche has a longer cuddy and a shorter cockpit.

Last edited:

Terrytunes

Recruit

Does anybody know how the seats were originally arranged (what type and placement) in a 1969 Thunderbird cathedral hull??
I picked one up that's in reasonable shape, but it's missing the seats.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TbirdOwner

Recruit

I inherited my dads '69 Comanche, which he bought new. Great boat. They do pound a bit in chop. The original seats were back to back fold outs. They were positioned on either side of the cockpit. In the case of the Comanche, next to the saddle tanks. Just leave enough room to stand at the helm comfortably for fore-aft placement. And, about 2 inches from the scuppers. Over the years we have tried different configutations of seats. Currently, we have 2 swivel seats up front. This leaves more room fishing. When it's a pleasure boat, we break out the deck chairs and add them as needed.

aknar1999

Recruit

Hello everyone,

Im looking for any info about a boat I just purchased, the title claims its a 1959 thunderbird... It seems very solid for its age and will look great once I refinish it. There is no outboard and all the switches and wiring needs replaced, cosmetically the finish is all spiderwebbed with cracks the windshield is missing but the hull feels,sounds solid from front to back. I measure 19 ft from bow to stern without a motor. It has molded cockpit seats and an enclosed bow, the coolest thing I think are the headlights recessed in the center bow. Ill try to get some pics on soon

thanks

Jon

After looking at other peoples pics my boat doesnt look like anyone elses does, Mine doesnt have the rail around the bow and mine has molded seats. Ive also noticed the lines on mine seem sharper where others seem more rounded...wish someone would look at my pic link and tell me what I have.

Last edited:

scallywag61

Cadet

Help me Identify this boat. Is it a Comanche or a Cheyenne? Where can I get parts (windshield parts) for it? I got it for free and want it ready by summer '10

Attachments

• DSC_0923.JPG
    DSC_0923.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0936.JPG
    DSC_0936.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0931.JPG
    DSC_0931.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0938.JPG
    DSC_0938.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1

1970Thunderbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all,

My uncle gave me his 1970 Thunderbird Seminole with Chrysler 70hp outboard. Problem is, the outboard has seized and I'm looking to replace it. The placard on the boat says 160hp max, and I'm fine with abiding by it.

My question is, does anyone know what weight a healthy transom on this boat is capable of supporting? I'm looking at a 1990 150hp Mercury Black Max motor that weighs about 375, as well as '78 140HP Johnson and I'd hate for the boat's bow to rise out of the water at a stop due to the weight in the rear, or even worse, snap the transom.

I think my current motor weighs around 275lbs or so.

Thanks!

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Thunderbird Seminole (17') with a 1978 175 HP Mercury Black Max on it. It works fine, have had no problems. I think that mine is a 69 model, been trying to verify it. Would you mind giving me your Seminole serial number. My serial no. is SE96440. I believe that the 96 represents 69 based on other numbers that I have found. My ID plate also states 160 HP.

Tug Boat Danny

Recruit

Fellas I got a 1965 Thunderbird 18"3" Boat the other day looks like there's water between the vfiberglass floor and the hull but the floor id rigid though the boat weighs 1800 lbs, How much should it weigh dry-like when it was new I looked but can't fine anything on it and how do I get the water out?
I sure do need some good advice here guys thank You, Sincerely Danny.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fellas I got a 1965 Thunderbird 18"3" Boat the other day looks like there's water between the vfiberglass floor and the hull but the floor id rigid though the boat weighs 1800 lbs, How much should it weigh dry-like when it was new I looked but can't fine anything on it and how do I get the water out?
I sure do need some good advice here guys thank You, Sincerely Danny.

If yours is outboard powered check the sump at the inside of the the transom. There are drain holes from the underdeck area and a hole through the transom for drainage. The dry weight of mine (17.5') is about 1850 pounds plus the engine and equipment. Hope that this helps.

madidog

Recruit

Seaman, i too have a 65' 17ft thunderbird cath. Hull. What i need to know is,where do i find info. On how many were built and how many are left.mine is in exel. Condition and im looking for as much info as i can on this hull. Hope you or some one can help me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.