walter v drive rattling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cds0ae

Recruit
My walter v drives are rattling at 900 rpms and lower when in gear. It stops when the rpms hit close to 1000+. Any ideas and should I keep using the boat or is this something that is going to get exponentially worse? THx

aholgate

Cadet
Re: walter v drive rattling

I have an 88' Carver Voyager and I just read in the manual that there is an acceptable level of rattle in the driveline at low RPM's and if you idle up a bit it should go away. If not then the v-drive and engine may need reallignment. There is also a u-joint that connect the motor to the v-drives and this maybe bad as well if grease was never or seldom used.

SHELLSEEKER

Recruit

rattling is normal on walter v drives on low rpms.i had a 1989 santego for 10 years.if its that annoying,you can just increase the idle speed.thats what i did.

Ed Byrne

Recruit

I had the same problem and it went away when the engens were timed.

Captain Todd1

Recruit
While it may not always exist, a rattle is considered normal at lower rpm's. Any inconsistent power can cause this (ie. bad tune). Be sure you have plenty of fresh oil in the drive and proceed. Working on you engine tune would probably reduce or eliminate the rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.