tachometer error

johnstga

Recruit
I was running my 5.0 gxi volvo, 2007 caravelle 217 last weekend and noticed my tachometer reading to be about 1000 rpm faster than normal. I know the prop won't allow the engine to run faster than 5000 rpm, but I was getting 6000 rpm on the tach. Any one know why this would happen?

shopguy

Recruit
Re: tachometer error

Hey there, I had a problem with mine too. If you'll look under the bezel around the edge of the face of the gauge you might see who the manufacturer is. Mine came from Faria and when I contacted them they told me to send it to them and they would fix it or replace it for less then half the price of a new one.

To answer your question you should check your R's by using another tach or find someone that has an old dwell meter or timing light that has a tach on it. I have a digital snap-on timing light that has a rpm mode on it.

If your engine doesn't sound like it's reving that much we're on the right track. If it does sound like it's wound up something's slippin....like a prop hub. Try it in neutral and easy up on the throttle to see how the gauge acts...should be a smooth sweep.

johnstga

Recruit
Re: tachometer error

Thanks, I do have a timing light and a dwell meter. I'll check it out.