How to access gas tank

doninfosys

Recruit
I have 1979 20 ft Openbow Caravelle. There is a gas tank (25+ gals) below the floor board. I leak gas when it is full. How do I access the filler hose connection at the tank? If I have to cut the floor board, where do I cut and how?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: How to access gas tank

I would recommed calling or e-mailing them to see what kind of help they could provide.<br /><br /><br />Caravelle Powerboats, Inc. <br />P.O. Box 1899 <br />111 Mathews Drive <br />Americus, Ga. 31709 <br />(229)924-1185 <br /><br />Here is the URL to their contact page, you will have to add the htp://www.<br /><br />caravelleboats.com/contact%20forms/contact_us.htm

Mercr

Seaman Apprentice

Mine was behind an access panel - in front of the passenger seat ('74 Tri-Hull I/O.) The tank was metal, & all gunked up. The sender was rusted solid, the float was cracked, the pick up was gummed shut, & there was about an inch of rustly, gooey sludge in the bottom. After an hour or so of attempted salvage, I decided that a new poly tank was well worth the price (should be here tomorrow or the next day). A new sender is included. I may need to use some of the old tank fittings.<br /> <br />I see that the 25 gal poly is only $12 more than the 12 gal tank I bought (nothing bigger would easily fit for me).<br /> <br />Good luck! & welcome to the "Caravelle Club" - Ye makes three! ;)

Mercr

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got my new tank, & installed it! How 'bout you - how's it going?

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

guessing that a0 it's a cuddy, and b) it's like my 71. about 1.5 feet back from the cabin door. it's about 3 ft by 4 feet. rip out most of the floor. don't expect a lot of thch support from caravelle. They were bought out around 1980 and the new owners have no info whatsoever regarding the older ones.