Stress Cracks

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at a boat tonight, the owner says it has 2 stress cracks. What are stress cracks and should I go look at the boat. Boat is a 13' Boston Whaler.
Please let me know what these are.

huckelberry

Seaman
Re: Stress Cracks

Stress cracks are cracks in the gel coat of a boat that let you know there is undue stress on a particular area or a problem under the gel coat. I have a 79 11ft Whaler and it is covered in cracks in the gel coat, but none seem to be wide enough to tell me there is a problem. They seem to be common on boats of that age. If it looks like the transom is about to fall off stay away, but if not, I'll bet you will have a hard time finding a boat with none.

ebry710

Ensign

If an owner calls cracks, stress crack, he is letting you know there is a problem. Where is the stress crack is important, but unless you are 1) a skilled boat surveyor or 2) the boat is cheap and you are not going to cause more stress, stay away. It takes a lot to break a whaler.

Last edited:

shes a keeper

Seaman Apprentice

I just picked up a 17 foot outrage2 and there is stress cracks around the bow eye and i am concerned being anal that i would like to repair this my self,Did any one have this problem i think this happened when the boat was torqued down to tight.Also the bunks are not touching the hull
- thanks mark

p.s she is a 1999 boston whaler 2001 load rite traler

ebry710

Ensign

I just picked up a 17 foot outrage2 and there is stress cracks around the bow eye and i am concerned being anal that i would like to repair this my self,Did any one have this problem i think this happened when the boat was torqued down to tight.Also the bunks are not touching the hull
- thanks mark

p.s she is a 1999 boston whaler 2001 load rite traler

Welcome to iboats. Fiberglass is not hard to repair, but the term "stress crack" must be followed but what type of stress crack and how big an area. Pic are always good.

Do you think the bow eye is pulling out? do you think the boat hit something and that cause cracking? or do you think the bow was hitting the trailer while towing?

shes a keeper

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply.The boat bow eye is tight but for some reason there is small thin cracks around the eye.it is not hitting anything I noticed a 8 in hair line crack going down and i want to repair this before it hits the water line.I have owned two montauks and this never happened.This is my first 17 outrage maybe the gell coat is not a thick any thoughts ?????????????

ebry710

Ensign

thanks for the reply.The boat bow eye is tight but for some reason there is small thin cracks around the eye.it is not hitting anything I noticed a 8 in hair line crack going down and i want to repair this before it hits the water line.I have owned two montauks and this never happened.This is my first 17 outrage maybe the gell coat is not a thick any thoughts ?????????????

Without actually seeing the crack I can only give you "best guest" advise, but I would treat it first as a gel coat problem. My feeling is to repair the gel coat, watch it closely and see if it cracks again. I always like to do simple things first and then the tough stuff. If it is deeper then the gel coat it will crack again, not harm and not foul. In the meantime its sealed and you can get some use out of it. The Whaler hull is foam filled and it is hard to actually damage the fiberglass.

You will like the Outrage. It doesn't skip on top like the Montauk. Its hull allows for some cutting of the water.

shes a keeper

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply and I think it is a miner crack and I appeciate your opinion on the outrage <*)))-}

shes a keeper

Seaman Apprentice

I usually clean out the crack and then use west system than gel coat and buff. But this outrage is real sweet and i will have to have someone look at her because I want the gelcoat to match perfectly.I have did older B W but I want this to look perfect.

shes a keeper

Seaman Apprentice

I will probably have someone do her only because I want her to look mint.I have fixed old B W and did ok with marine tex and gel coat from the whaler dealer to match but i do`nt want to do a ok job. mark:confused:

ebry710

Ensign

I will probably have someone do her only because I want her to look mint.I have fixed old B W and did ok with marine tex and gel coat from the whaler dealer to match but i do`nt want to do a ok job. mark:confused:

Keeping her mint is always the best. I have not brought my to mint, I am still working on function.

A perfect match on the gel coat color is always key. Outside of that, matching the surface sheen is more a matter of layers and sanding. I have looked at self-repair giving me a feeling of pride........but if I had the money, I would do as you, pay someone to bring her to mint.