13' whaler and rough water

ouachita

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a 1969 Whaler with a 25 hp merc on it. My intention is for 2 of us to scuba dive out of it on a large lake. Probably 600 lbs of people and gear. My concern is how the boat would handle waves from cruisers or storms that might blow in. The worst I have been caught in was a heavy 2' chop. (I am guessing at the height)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

catfished

Cadet
Re: 13' whaler and rough water

Hi ouachita,

I've owned three 13 ft. Boston Whalers in my lifetime (I'm an old fart :) and have never felt threatened in the worst of conditions. I mostly ran them in San Francisco Bay and the nearby ocean. I took big waves in the boat on several occasions, actually almost filling it up on one occasion but simply hitting full throttle and opening the drain plugs emptied it in a few minutes.

There are only a few ways that I can think of where you could get into serious trouble with a 13 whaler. Being thrown out of the boat by a huge wave, flipping end over end due to running into gale force winds with the load distributed too far astern or getting buried in huge breaking seas because you thought you were bulletproof. :eek:

I think a 13 Whaler is ideal for your applications. It's a very stable diving platform and will handle any rough water you're likely to encounter.

Please realize that this is Just My Humble Opinion on the subject and I'm a bit biased since I'm a BW fan.:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another old fart who has faced terrible conditions on the water in a Boston Whaler 13 here.

Like Catfished I never felt threatened.

If I had a choice I would prefer the classic 15, but only because it has more room and rides smoother. No small boat is safer than a Boston Whaler 13.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would get a newer model with a 20? transom. I think they changed in the mid 70?s. It would be more difficult to get swamped. Other than that, it has always been the most perfect and safe 13? boat ever built.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I grew up on a 13' whaler, and as a teenager I put that boat to the test over and over again. Without regard for safety. You cant go wrong. You will be suprized at what that boat can take.

I do think a 25HP will be a little small for what you need. A 40HP is perfection on that boat. Just afraid with all that gear and a couple of grown men you might have a problem plaining after a swamping.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh bye the way I tested the rough water capability on rough days in Hells Gate In the Long Island Sound.

JB

My 13 was a 1975 Sport, with the 20" transom and the "smirked" hull.

Not only would it plane readily with two big men and a boy aboard with my Johnny 25, it would maintain 25mph.

I tried a 40, and even a 50 (scared heck out of me) but the boat handled best with the 25. That is what I recommend for a 13 Sport or SS.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a relatively recent whaler owner and am amazed at how often whaler owners hang a heavy oversized motor on the transom, add a steel jackplate, add a kicker and bracket, and most any other gadgets they can think of on the transom or behind the center of gravity. When on plane and getting there the bow is reared up and the stern looks to be below water level and in any event much water is being plowed. Hardly the best usage of these well designed and graceful boats.

ouachita

Recruit

Thank you all for your replies. I bought the boat and took it out yesterday. It worked great. The 25 was great but I would agree that with a swamped boat it probably would not plane. I'll just have to be careful.

Oh, and the guy said it was a 69 but when I got there it was a 72

jwarren1950

Recruit

I have a 66 boston whaler with a 1966 50 hp Mercury.I am thinking of replacing the motor(it still runs well)or just selling the entire rig and buying a newer boat.Any suggestions of where to find a good used motor or should I sell the boat ..What is it worth?Thanks.jwarren1950@yahoo.com

JB

I suggest a fresh thread for your question, jwarren. It doesn't relate to using a 13 in rough water.

You gotta hear my story of testing the limits of my 13'er. I live in Charleston, SC. and I run mine in the Harbor and along the Rivers that flow into the Harbor. I took my parents out on it when they came into town and what a story it was.

We were out on the water for eight hours before my dad finally took the wheel. He loved it, Boston Whaler this and Boston Whaler that.... He was in Hog Heaven. When it came time for me to take the wheel and navigate us home we made a shift in the boat. My mom, dad, dog and myself were all on the right side of the boat. My dad (a heavier fellow, that's coming down in weight) slips and goes down. The entire rightside of the boat takes on a mass amount of water. I scream, everyone to the front. I crank down on the throttle and try to plane the rig out. The water level in the back of the boat, if I'm lieing I'm dieing, was about one inch from the top of the transom. We had every bit of 605lbs and who knows how many gallons in that boat and the ole BOSTON WHALER pulled through.. with a little help from my 30HP Merc. on the back.

It took everybit of 10 minutes with the plug pulled before the water was out. Thank you Boston Whaler.... Thank you.