What's your Whaler?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What's your Whaler?

Yes, st, I am keeping RED SKY. I have further improvements in mind for her that will make her an even better fishing boat. Already replaced the 7.5 gallon tank with an 11.

The MK 765 PD troller is not strong enough (28lb), doesn't have a constant on switch and doesn't have Auto pilot. Next goodie is a 55 AP PD with Co Pilot and built in sonar.

After that a 4 stroke EFI 50, probably JohnnyZuki unless someone (not Mercury) comes up with a 60-70HP EFI 4 stroke that weighs around 250-275lb.

My son complained that she is too small to fish LOTW for muskies. This after he had two 40"+ muskies in two days from her. To get better results than that is not a reasonable expectation.

The reason I sold Sunshine III was that I have gotten too old and feeble to launch and load a Montauk alone. What the heck I was thinking about an Outrage for?

I will help him find an Outrage or a Striper 17 this Fall or Winter, but it will be his boat. The idea of an "our" boat doesn't work if you want different things.

woodrat

Ensign

My whaler is a '69 13' model that my family bought new when i was four years old. It has a johnson 40 hp and a johnson 4 hp kicker. We used to ski with it, and when I was younger used it to shuttle camping gear across spirit lake at the now famous Mt St Helens.

I rescued it from the garage a few years ago and have had it out fishing a lot and lately I've been using to salvage logs floating in the river. It's about ready for a good bath and some wiring/tuneup work though, so sometime soon I'm going to pull it out and bring it home again (it's been moored in the creek near here for a year).

My other boats are an 89 Valco 16' bayrunner center console with a 60 hp Yamaha, and a 72 Bell Boy 19' runabout with a chevy/merc 120 I/O.

D

DJ

1976 Whaler Sport 15'3", 1975 Johnson 50, 1996 Aros trailer.

P1010014.jpg

P1010008.jpg

JB

Wow!! Excellent job, DWJ. I love seeing a 30 year old Whaler that looks new.

The pilot seating position relative to the helm looks uncomfortable to me, though. Do you find yourself leaning fwd and down to steer her? You are a pretty big fella for that arrangement.

One of the schemes I have in mind for RED SKY is a mahogany console like the Striper console but a few inches taller to offer some useful storage and a raised deck from there for'd to the anchor locker for more storage.

D

DJ

JB,

I did nothing to the hull, that's the way I bought her. There are a few dings, here and there that I need to address. I've been thinking about the gel coat repair kits but I'm a little leary.

I did paint the engine though. As you recall, Johnnies were green in them days.

You're dang right about being uncomfortable to drive-terribly so. I'd like to change it except I'm concerned about changing an "original".

So the mental debate begins: keep it and change it, or sell it and get something else.

Do you have some pic's of the inside of your Striper? I was thinking along similar lines as you.

JB

Here is a view of the helm area, DWJ. The 70qt Igloo with cushion is a fairly comfortable seat, but I could stand the helm being a few inches higher. The cooler is about 3" taller than the original 48qt.

watermark.php

Virginia Whaler

Recruit

I am new to the forum - it's great to be on board!

JB and all,
We just acquired a 1978 15' Striper. It's in fairly good shape but we're doing some rehab work. JB, I like the seats on yours - could you tell me what pedastal seats you have? Also, what size cooler? Where would I get the pedastals and the cushioned cooler seat?

Also, any tips on where to get a suntop/bimini top for our model? Mills doesn't make them. Thanks!

JB

Those seats are Navistar, VW. I got them through iboats (they found them for me). I have used them before and found them superior for comfort. They are on new stainless swivels.

The pedestals are OEM, but I am sure iboats has something very close.

The pilot seat is an Igloo marine 70qt, with a cushion made for me by. . . .um, er. . .I don't remember, but I located them through ContinuousWave. Not cheap, but of Whaler quality. I got the cooler through iboats, too.

On several items that I knew exactly what I wanted and weren't in the iboats MegaMall I called and asked. They went out and found them for me and had them drop shipped. Hard to beat that service, and I don't believe that I got anything that any other paying customer wouldn't get.

I think my fuel tank arrangement is unusual. I have a 7.5gal and an 11gal Tempo that each fit the cleats shown here. I use whichever has enough fuel for that day's float plan.

watermark.php

FirstWhaler

Recruit

I'm buying an 1998 18 ft. Boston Whaler Ventura with a 1999 150hp Yamaha OX66 tomorrow. The Ventura is a bowrider with the split console. It also has fishing rod racks on either side of the boat and 4 rod holders, so it will do for fishing too. This is my first power boat. I'll be towing it with a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT with a class II hitch. The boat supposedly weighs 1800lbs plus 445lbs for the motor plus gas, stuff, and trailer. Should be under the 3500lbs rating of the hitch. I kinda miss my F150 4x4 that I sold last year.

1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy Whaler Drive with single 130hp Yamaha. Marginally powered, but I like the 3 mpg. Top speed 31 mph. Used to have twin 130's. I'm very happy with the boat & would never sell it.

Last edited:

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't own a whaler, but i went to a summer camp in Maryland when i was younger, and the only kind of boats there were whalers. Probably over 20 Boston Whalers, Ive wanted one ever since.

JB

Well, Vandy, maybe it is time. :)

markho

Seaman Apprentice

I don't own a whaler, but i went to a summer camp in Maryland when i was younger, and the only kind of boats there were whalers. Probably over 20 Boston Whalers, Ive wanted one ever since.

I just bought one. i moved closer to the beach and bay 8 years ago and finally decided to finally get a boat. going on a good nose for research i went and bought a bw 15'. I have yet to hear negative comments on bw's. so mine is a 1976 sport 15.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

On my second 1972 13'. Love it.

morningcalm

Cadet

1970 13' Sport ("The Bos'n") with 1985 35hp Merc.

This past year I replaced all the wood because the previous owner had done a real botch job on it and it wasnt salvagable. I bought this boat in 1991 for $2000, mainly for use in my business as a sailmaker, canvas and rigging. It got lots of practical use as you can imagine since my shop was in a marina and most customers were either at a mooring or docked.

For various reasons the boat was layed up in 1995 and hasnt been used since then, but has been well covered against the elements. This spring I decided to start using it again. I custom made all new mahogany wood with a few minor improvements. Eight coats of Epifans and three Captains later, this boat is what you would expect a well cared for Whaler to look like. Its not mint, but would you expect a boat of this age to be so? Original gelcoat has a few minor chips here and there, but that will be taken care of in the next few weeks, as well as the existing fills. As for the rub rail. When I got the boat, there were just bits a pieces of the original left, so I installed the present one myself. I also found that by placing the battery under the port forward seat, the boat balances extremely well at full throttle.

This boat is a real charm to be on the river with. Folks are always asking about it when I go to launch because of its new fresh look and whaler appeal.

I'll post a few pictures for those curious folks....... Boston Whaler picturesl

covered.JPG

Last edited:

islandmanagers

Recruit

Wow... this'll be fun....

Currently, I've a '71 Menemsha 17' CUDDY (75hp Suzuki--whuk, thwooie), a '69 Menemsha (brand new 90hp yam. 2stroke), an indeterminate 13' (25hp yam), an early 60's 17'-er (brand new yam. 90hp 2stroke). pix forthcoming (soon as i figgure out HOW... :)

JCC

stingraze

Recruit

Hello Everyone - I have recently found this forum and am enjoying myself thus far!! My whalers are a 1968 BW Squall, 1969 13' with a 1997 30 hp Evinrude, 1984 13' Super Sport with a 1984 40hp yamaha, and a 1983 18' Outrage with a 1999 Mercury 150hp. The 84 was given to me brand new by my father when I was a kid, but he sold it when I went off to college. I re-purchased the boat in 2005 to give to my two boys, ages 3 and 4. The purchase was a bit premature considering their ages, but I knew that I would never have that opportunity again. The 1969 was just too pretty for me to pass on when I saw it in the classifieds, but then came along the Outrage. The Outrage is perfect for me and my family and we have enjoyed it thoroughly.

stingraze

stingraze

stingraze

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm seeing red X's Stingraze!

mcconnell63

Seaman

Hi, I just read your post and you said you have some pictures. How do I find the pictures you and other guys have. I would like to see the boats everyone has. Thanks, Al PS: Right now I am looking around for a used 17 or 19 ft. Montauk. I love this site and all the info it has.

cotton

Recruit

I have an 84' 15' Sport w/center console with the original 50 HP mercury that came on it, Both about as minty as they could be. Never bottom painted. Love this boat. Can't think of a boat that I had rather have.