anybody out there?

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just wonderin if anybody else out there had 1 of these boats?<br /> I have a 1985 17' Bonito center console.<br /> w/ 1985 90hp Johnson V-4

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: anybody out there?

i have a 1986 16 foot ceneter console with a 1978 inline 6 1150 115hp. very fast, down right fun and scarey.<br /><br />the build quaility of mine is pure garbage, but its a hoot to drive !

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mines built pretty good..Need to get a keel gaurd for it years of trailering has rubbed the keel pretty raw..But like you said it is fast even with that little 90hp..She will give me 55- 60 mph.Wish she was a little wider.

Duug

Cadet

I hava '69 16'Bonito walkthru with a 90 Yamaha on it. I replaced the deck, glassed it in and filled the bilge area with 2 part foam. The boat is rock solid and is a blast in the Indian River. 3 to 5ft seas are no problem unless it starts blowing 30 knots. :eek:

Toddo

Recruit

I finally found others that own Bonitos. I just purchased a 1981 16ft Dual Console from a dealer up here in Pa. It has the original 1981 Johnson 70hp still on it. As it is March (and still cold up here) I havent had the chance to run it yet. The whole thing is pretty clean for its age. The construction is a bit rough on the inside but the gelcoat is in really good shape. The motor compression is good and it ran at the dealer with earmuffs on so.....Hope I get alot of fun out of this one also!

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Just recently picked up a Bonito Calais 685. 22ft Fibreglass halfcab with a Mercury 225hp EFI. All 2000 model.<br /><br />Use it as an all round fishing/family cruiser. Managed to get it upto 53mph on flat water with 4 adults and full fuel. <br /><br />Haven't caught much fish with it yet.. having too much fun with the wind in my hair.<br /><br />
DisplayImage1.jpg
<br /><br />
DisplayImage3.jpg
<br /><br />
DisplayImage4.jpg

Toddo

Recruit

I don't think this is the same Co. that made our Bonitos! Ours were made in Orlando Fla. and probably cost much less when new.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Our Bonito's are made in New Zealand. Been a New Zealand manufacturer for 30 years. Exceptional build quality.<br /><br />www.bonito.co.nz<br /><br />Bonito Boats Ltd<br />50 Main Road<br />PO Box 534, Kumeu<br />New Zealand

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have 79 18' bowrider 71 merc 1350. great boat. bonitas were a take off of the popular cobia also made in central florida. some say that the bonita were seconds off the cobia line.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would love to find a new set of the decals for the hull for mine.I got it cleaned up good, it would just make it look that much better with a new set of the original decals.

Toddo

Recruit

I'd like to see some pics of these Bonitos you guys have. Since I'm stuck making this 25 yr old boat of mine nice (or nicer) again, I'd like to see how other boats are set up interior wise.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ill try and get you some puctures of mine up on here in the next week or so for ya Toddo..

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1988 17' CC. 70HP Yamaha, bought it from the original owner and he took very good care of it. Not a mark on it..... hope I can keep it that way.

dolphan

Recruit

Many, many moons ago I used to work for a dealer in Winter Park, Fl that sold these boats. I must have rigged over a 100 of them, we used to sell the little 15ft bowrider at a clip of 2 to 3 a week in the summer months. I miss the days when you could get a basic little lake boat that ran pretty fast and would pull a skier with only a 70 hp Johnson outboard. I think we sold them boat, motor and trailer for about $2,000. People would buy the little 15 footer and run them a couple of years and as the kids got older and wanted to slalom ski they would come back and trade up to the 17 footer with an 85 or 115.

dolphan

Recruit

have 79 18' bowrider 71 merc 1350. great boat. bonitas were a take off of the popular cobia also made in central florida. some say that the bonita were seconds off the cobia line.

The bonitos were built in a little factory off of Old Winter Garden road in west Orlando. I used to go over to the factory about twice a week to pick up new boats.

bigrockets

Seaman
Re: anybody out there? Yes!

Re: anybody out there? Yes!

I have a 1989 center console 17 ft with an Evinrude 48 SPL. I'm taking it to New Hampshire next week for some fishing Lake Ossipee. I got it for a good price last month here in New Jersey. Had a spun prop hub which is why I got it cheap. Its nice on the Derlaware river and the bays in NJ. Don't think I would take it out on the ocean.