Blue water Mirage - ski locker compartment always wet

Wetinoregon

Recruit
I recently purchased a Mirage (2004). I am slowly learning the pros and cons of the boat. overall I love my boat.
I am noticing that my ski locker even after pulling my plug and driving my boat home, water remains in the area. The engine area and bilge are dry.
The only way I could get it to drain was to lift the boat tongue another 18 inches higher than the highest height the front jack can raise.

Have any of you noticed a similar issue?

I don't have a hole or bilge pump issue. I am shocked any water was left in the boat considering the roads to my home are quite steep and with the plug open everything should be long gone by the time I get home.

Mike62

Recruit
Re: Blue water Mirage - ski locker compartment always wet

Dont have answer for your question but I am about to purchase a 2004 blue water mirage is there anything you can tell me about the boat that I should .And If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your boat? Thanks Mike

Wetinoregon

Recruit

I have had my boat now basically for one summer. I bought it due to the popularity and abundance in the area I live. It is also a nice looking boat. Bluewater boats are built in Salem, Oregon. My previous boat was a 19' Chaparral.
I frequent the cascade lakes which are at altitude. If you have a boat with a V6 or Carburator you will suffer severe power loss and performance issues at high altitutude. This is why I sold my chaparral. It just didn't have the power only having a 190HP V6..
I bought this Blue Water mirage because it was equipped with the optional 270HP Feul injected V8 which is not very common in this boat. For that reason the boat is great. It is a beast when it comes to power and speed.
Where I am disappointed is the overall quality and finish work inside the boat. It is average at best, especially when comparing to a brand such as Chaparral.
I purchased this boat from the original owner and it only had 53 hours on it. This is a loaded Mirage and was actually the local dealer's showroom boat in 2004.
It had a $30,000 sticker price. I purchased it for $15,300 with the tandem trailer that is matched and quite nice.
Best of luck. This time of year the prices should be to your advantage considering the season is basically over.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '03 had the same issue with water in the ski locker.
I found that way up in the bow of the ski locker there is a spot where the keel and chines meet(i think). Probably a foot or so forward of the front locker edge. The area has pretty rough fiberglass.
There was a small hole, not to the exterior, just like a little cavity that held some water. Not sure but it almost seems like it may have run under the locker. Not sure if there was a reason since the locker already has it's own drain.
I ended up getting all the water out, and filling the hole and laying new fiberglass over that whole area just to smooth it out.
Sorry I don't have any pictures, I sold my boat about a month ago.

vfrkent

Seaman

I have a 05' and my locker has always been dry, best of luck tracking it down and keep us posted.

Regards,
Kent

Rick237

Recruit
Not sure if Hogger (or anyone else) is paying attention to this thread anymore but I bought an '04 Mirage last winter and had it in the water 10-12 times this past summer.
Love the boat - especially when cutting loose that 5 litre - but ended up experiencing the wet ski locker issue.

It seemed no matter how much (or little) water ran out when the plug was removed at the ramp, it was wet when I got back to the cottage and had to prop it open to dry. I have to take out and trailer every night.
Several different on-the-water experiences of high speed, sudden stops (tubing) and low speed, gentle stops (fishing) were able to be 'analyzed' for what might be causing water to get in there.
One theory was 'backwash' from sudden stops coming forward into the boat / getting in the bilge and leaking 'forward'.
One theory was a microscopic crack in the bottom / bow of hull.
Another theory was water spraying up the hull and finding a gap in the rubber bumper / hull seam and leaking in that way.

Hogger's experience seems to indicate that no matter how it gets in the boat, it should stay underneath the locker and in the bilge.
Hogger found a small hole in the front of the locker allowing water to leak in.
He plugged the hole and stopped the locker from being wet - then sold the boat - so we may not know for sure that the problem was fixed.

Looking through this and other threads, it seems that my actions should be to remove the carpet in the locker.
Check the front of the locker for a hole, plug it and cover with fibreglass.
Re-carpet or re-line with something soft and non-water absorbing should then be okay - or just leave it bare.

Hogger - I'm curious how you found the hole - did you 'just' stick your head into the locker with a bright light or did you 'scope' it somehow or were you able to lift the deck in some way?
Assuming you just stuck your head in - can you tell me how far forward you had to reach to find it and fix it?
Arm's length or head and shoulders in or further?
I didn't spend a lot of time trying to look in there but it seems more than just a couple feet to the front...?
I'm not a big guy but the thoughts of getting my head, shoulders and arms in there in a way to actually do 'work' is a bit unpleasant to look forward to...

Thanks for any thoughts / feedback
/Rick

vfrkent

Seaman
Rick237,

I had mentioned earlier that I didn't have the water getting into the locker area until last summer, I went to clean up the bumpers and when I pulled them out of the ski locker I noticed that the carpet was wet, I've never had it wet before so I was really perplexed, I looked at the bottom of the boat for cracks and checked all over looking for where the water was coming in, the next week when we went out it was the same thing and I started to worry, it was when I was cleaning out the anchor hold up in the front that I realized that the water was coming from the rope on the anchor, the two previous times that I had the water in the locker corresponded with the only two time that I had used the anchor, if I didn't use the anchor no water and if I did we had water.

I found that the water that was in the rope when I pulled it in was just draining into the locker area, I just added a water proof bag for storing until I got home and then pulled it out for drying, and there was my water leak.

Regards,
Kent

Rick237

Recruit
Thanks Kent - and sorry for the `lengthy time to respond - I have been shirking my blog-time )
I don`t often put the anchor in so not likely to be that but you`ve definitely given me something to think about regarding any `wet stuff`up in front (ever).
I was thinking as a worst case, I would remove the carpet and put in some of those mats with the channels underneath to let the water move front to back when in there. I`ll also be more mindful of letting it sit on a slope for a few minutes to be more sure to drain everything and I`ll jack the tongue up higher when storing it.
Thanks again.
/Rick