90 hp 4 stroke on a 1706 bluefin spectrum

MistahBiz

Seaman Apprentice
I know that this boat has a max hp rating of 90hp , would it be ok to go with a 90 hp 4 stroke. I believe a 90 hp 2 stroke weighs about 300lbs vs a 90hp 4 stroke that weighs around 390lbs..what ya guys think?

Thanks,

MistahBiz

wildman_wilds

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 90 hp 4 stroke on a 1706 bluefin spectrum

You can throw a Yamaha F70 fuel injected 4 stroke on your boat and it's 80lbs lighter than the 4 stroke 90hp motor. F70 still has plenty of horse power. Look into it. Yamaha web site.

force fan

Cadet

All things being equal in this size range of boat, invest in the maximum motor that your boat is rated, especially if you intend to pull skiers or put a premium on speed. Depending on usage, you won't need to run the 90 hp as hard as a 70 and the difference in gas consumption may turn out to be negligible. If pulling power or speed is not an issue for you, then a 70 may be perfectly fine but you can't exactly return a motor if its performance disappoints you. With a 90 you will never ever wonder if you should have put on a larger motor. I have yet to hear a boater complain that he overpowered his boat and the world is full of boaters who regretted underpowering their rig.

wildman_wilds

Seaman Apprentice

Get a Yamaha F90 4 stroke. I'm going to get a F90 soon to put on my Blue fin superhawk. Make sure your transom is in good shape and when transporting your boat to the lake get yourself a transom saver to reduce some of the stress on your transom while hitting pot hole in road. A 4 stroke 90hp will be fine. A buddy of mine put on a 4 stroke merc 125hp on his 90's lund and it seems to handle well. Do what is best for ya. You'll20110930195249.jpg find the right one.

MistahBiz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks 4 the input fellas... I went with a 03 mercury, and I got the jet attachment as well..It purrs..I'm not sure how fast I havent gotten my speedometer to work yet but max rpm is about 5800 at least on my gauge. I'm pretty happy with the overall of the engine, gas, speed..etc.