where is the live well pump in a Spectrum 1950

draginwagin

Recruit
I have a late '80's Blue Fin spectrum 1950 which has a live well under the starboard side bow seat. The live well's fill/aerator quit working some time ago. The line is not plugged as it will fill if I connect a garden hose to the port in the stern (and turn on the hose), and water then fills the well and drains out the other hole in the stern as it should. But it will not fill on it's own power. There is power to the pump switch on the dash. Power to the switch is a brown wire. The load side wire from the switch is brown w/a white stripe. It goes into a rats nest bundle of wires including several more brown with white stripe wires and I lose track of it. I suspect the pump quit.
But where is the pump?

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where is the live well pump in a Spectrum 1950

It should be in the starboard side, in the transom. You will probably have to lie down and crawl under the splash well and peek down into the bilge area. (assuming you have an outboard).

draginwagin

Recruit

Thank you for the reply.
Actually I have the 2.3L (Ford) OMC I/O, and I looked down in that area where the line enters the stern, but didn't see anything looking like a live well pump.

draginwagin

Recruit

Found it. right where you said it would be. buried under the motor, hard to see and damn near impossible to reach. I unscrewed the nut on the outside of the boat, clipped the wires and tugged it out from under the motor by the hose. Now the trick is going to be getting a new one in there.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad you found it. It is basically a two person operation to replace. One person with long skinny arms to hold it on the inside, and another person to put the nut on the outside. It isn't too bad on my boat, but I have an outboard.