Blue Fin Boat

I have purchased a 1983 - 16ft Aluminum boat. This boat has a Blue Fin (New Paris Indiana ) Decal on it. I have tried to find out if these were good boats in their day, but have not found much history regarding the manufacturer. Can anyone tell me if they know anything about them?

Thanks

force fan

Cadet
Re: Blue Fin Boat

I've owned my 1988 Spectrum 1700/85 hp Force for almost 20 years now. The rig has flied in the face of the old adage about the best two days in a boater's life (the day you buy it and the day you sell it).

It is certainly not a high end boat but it has been a great value. I bought it new for <$10K back in '88. Blue Fin could have used heavier grade hardware and guages. The seat upholstery thread came apart early on. The hull and engine have been solid over the years though.

I really fell in love with the brand and unfortunately no one these days makes a good aluminum fish/ski package with fold down back-to-back lounge seats. Aluminum boats are so slanted towards fishing packages these days.

Blue Fin got picked up by a parent company (Brunswick Marine?) in the mid 80s and sold as boat/trailer/engine package deals along with Bayliner. Mine bears a lot of the Bayliner "look" interior-wise since they used identical trim.

Best I have been able to determine, the Blue Fin name evolved into Spectrum in the late 80s, early 90s but remained the same boat. I believe the company was bought by Fisher Marine in 1994 and the brand discontinued. Perhaps Fisher just wanted the manufacturing space, not the boat itself.

Hey Force Fan, thanks for your input. I have read a few reports up out of the States and most of them claim that Blue Fin made a very good product in the early half of the 80's. I think I am going to see how the vessel holds up this summer and if I am satisfied with it, I might strip it and repaint it. I would also like to get rid of the lounge seats and once I install a good carpet down I will put in pedestal seats. A casting deck in the front would be a nice addition also. Thanks again.

Happy Boating!

Walleye Wally

minnowbucket

Recruit

I bought a 87 blue Finn 19' with a 50hp force. Real nice boat lots of rivets should hold together for a long time. Mine goes about 18 to 20 knots, I wont win a lot of races but it gets me to my fishing spot. I put a new floor and swivel seat in place of the old ones, more for fishing. I got a great deal, the guy said the engine blew up. It didn't matter to me I wonted the boat . It ended up that the he just blew the head gasket. Can't wait to go fishing in the spring.

Minnowbucket

Stainless_

Recruit

When you tore up the floor was there foam under there? If so was is waterlogged?

Kurt_1972

Recruit

Hey Force,

I grew up on a Blue Fin, 16ft aluminum with Evinrude engine. That boat was solid, never ever let us down. We used it for Walleye fishing on Saginaw Bay and even did some salmon fishing on it. The only problem we ever encountered was someone frogot to hook up the fuel line....USER ERROR....Good luck