20 Berty Club please report

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys-
Greetings from the Northeast, Ct to be exact. I have purchased my 20 Bahia Mar last December while hunting for parts, for boat #2 my wife found her not to far from home on a decent trailer. Well he had a "buyer from the Bahamas", It was near Christmas and I new his wife hated it sitting in front of his house. He was a great guy, and I'm pretty stuborn, so I had the Boat home in less than a week I dont think the other guy existed :rolleyes: I had to let her sit because I was selling boat #1. I was repairing boat #2 and The Berty had to wait, until now!! The big boat #1 is gone and I finished #2 on the last day of school (kidz) I did a total gut out redo stringers, glass, foam, ext ply w/resin floor, more glass, paint and done., Oh the entire gimbal housing removed replaced, along with belows, bearings, cables you name it etc.. Yeah a real picnic, but the little bowrider will be great for years. I plan on giving it to my son. He got his PWC license when he was 9 years old. He is 11 now and a teriffic kid top grades, and he deserves much better.

Back to the Berty
I have taken out the glass fuel tank. I will repair the walk around part of the deck rebed fittings paint or re gelcoat. I want to carefully remove the gelcoat/glass cockpit floor, repair if needed then replace it, before I reinstall
the floor,
I will put in two stringer poly fuel tanks about 40 gal each side. The reason is so I can turn the center hatch where the glass fuel tank used to live into a fish hold/storage. Then install a 350 V8 maybe a low 350HP stroker w/alpha 1 . I would like a hard top after these mods are complete. I'm concerned with the weight so I may try using an LS1 aluminum engine, marineized of course w/FWC I would appreciate any suggestions/Ideas. All I have is the alpa set up and some V8 stuff I'm accumulating. Bravo is possible but trying to stay sane on budget. New pix soon I just removed the tank.
Chow for now,:D:cool::D
Jeff

Attachments

• 3n93oc3l25Qf5P35Rf9bdfad077d531f9154d.jpg
    3n93oc3l25Qf5P35Rf9bdfad077d531f9154d.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Tunacious.jpg
    Tunacious.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1

arfaname

Seaman
Re: 20 Berty Club please report

Gday Jeff,

One of the best times I had in my resto of the Berty 20 was the first time I layed the hammer down with the 350.. :) I ran a 170hp six previously and although it did the job it was just a slug in my opinion.

Mine already had a stainless tank installed in the center under the floor of about 180 litres. I would be wary of moving the fuel outward so far up the boat because I think it may make the boat "tippy". By raising the tanks up a little and out to the side your effectively slinging 300 pounds on either side of your boat forward of center. By doing this you are also losing your positive bouyancy.

One of the great things about the Bertram 20 is the ride. Much smarter guys than me designed it and I dont feel I have the technical know how to modify such things and it would be a crying shame to destroy the ride characteristics.

I am unsure how it works in the states but certainly here in Aus, if you want your insurance valid you must run "marine manufactured parts". This means we can not just slap in a GM LS1, marinize it and away you go. It must be built originally for marine use. This may be different there.

On the stock Volvo 350, the alternator sits lower right. I made up a new bracket to high mount the alternator. I had to scallop the top of the stringer to retain the mechanical fuel pump as an electric pump is just something else to fail at sea.

I had no room to run my exhausts thru the leg so opted for thru hull. From experience let me tell you thru hull sucks balls. Its just too damn noisy for a fishing boat. make it fit.

I look forward to your build Jeff..

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

Arfaname-
Thanks, I appreciate your input on the Berty your points are well taken. We can repower unchecked here in the US, but I will do it safely. My family will be enjoying the Vessel, I would never put anyone ever at risk. Please don't misunderstand me, I dont want to reinvent the wheel. We are all in agreement the boat was underpowered to begin with from the factory. It could be a design issue, or it could be that BERTRAM wanted customers to move up, to purchase the next model (more power, more fuel, more Berty, more dollars,). You must agree, If I can improve the boat for my selfish purposes without screwing it up thats a good thing.:D:cool::D
Chow,Jeff

arfaname

Seaman

Couldn't agree more Jeff.

Just on the fuel tank issue. Somewhere nearby there would have to be an old shipright hiding in an old shed just itching for somebody to ask him for advice. It might be worth talking to him about the relocation of weight and how it will effect the hull and its ride.

The things to look for on an automotive engine that require change are as follows.

Fuel overflow or return line must either enter back into the fuel system or down the throat of a carby.

Alternator must be ark proof

Starter motor must be arc proof

Cam will likely have the torque curve set up for cruise not for travelling up hill all day as a boat does.

The sump is designed to run horizontal not angled like in a boat. You dont want oil surge on takeoff. Baffled maybe?

If planning on running in salt definatly look for a closed cooling system heat exchanger. (im yet to find mine)

The LS1 I know is fuel injected but incase it is a carby version you will need a flame arrester.

Hope this is of some use.

To give you an idea, at 260hp mines doing 75km/h easy with plenty left. I have bought Lenco trim tabs but yet to fit them to control the porpoising over 75km/h. I want 100k's and think its achieveable.

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

Couldn't agree more Jeff.

Somewhere nearby there would have to be an old shipright hiding in an old shed just itching for somebody to ask him for advice. It might be worth talking to him about the relocation of weight and how it will effect the hull and its ride.

I was thinking the same thing, I have read a guy posting that he worked at Berty in the 60's maybe he will chime in. Otherwise I will find somone I'm quite persistent.

Here is another thought, when we have a full crew doesn't the Boat still run nicely even with the giant brother inlaw etc.. taking up space:eek:

Here are some LS1's in action, I just like HP so I will keep looking. These engines below have to be quite pricey.

(No affiliation I just found these with a couple of key strokes)

http://www.waspaust.co.nz/Chev6.html
or
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...-ski-boat.html

The 260hp your using seems pretty stout. I will take another look. I will probably end up with a used something. Acknowleged on the trim tabs.
Cheers:)Jeff

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 20 Berty Club please report***************** UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I found a used aluminum tank to mount in the original hole. The original tank was 35 gal fiberglass- the upggade is a 58 gal- a pickup of 23 gal not bad & no cutting up of the boat. I probably will go with a brand new 260Hp or 315hp Vortec, tough to find a good used engine fresh water. Sorry took long time to update using other boat & enjoying kids & family fun.
chow, Jeff:cool:

arfaname

Seaman

Good stuff Jeff, it sounds like progress to me. I have since fitted my trim tabs and wow, what a difference. Money very well spent. As for the slow reply, it sounds like a pretty good excuse to me. ;)

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot to mention, over the winter, I had the transome fully repaired. I did not anticipate this repair as the transome seemed solid from the outside, as the old ethanol damaged 470 merc & curroted alpha 1, it hid the rotten interior transome. So guys beware of a non original or replaced drive line as much as an old original drive line failing at the mouting points & rotting the transome. Trust me I wiggled the outdrive from side to side & up n down, tapped with a plastic hammer on the outside to listen for dull spots, I could not tell from these simple tests. Even a moisture meter did not fully reveal how rotted the transome really was. Maybe its a credit to the robust build of the Bertram. I guess it could have been used as is, but it would mean certain death for the boat long term. I'm glad I had it done, time & money permitted me paying this time, especially during the winter, while nothing was getting done on her, it made cents to me, to "just do it" as they say. I will add finished transome, bildge, fuel tank, photos in coming weeks.
Cheers, Jeff

Transome Repair 004.jpgTransome Repair 003.jpgIMG_2251.jpgTransome Repair 005.jpgTransome Repair 001.jpg

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in... I have a 1972 Berty 20. Was originally with a Mercruiser 165. Did 30 knots balls to the wall. It was 'adequate' and nothing more. Replaced that with a 4.3LX (V6, 180hp) in 1994 and was over the moon with that engine. With a light load and the right prop I almost got to 40 knots! Replaced that engine in 2006 with a 4.3MPI (220hp). Full noise, light loaded I hit 43.2 knots... At that speed she's a bit of a handful as the hull likes to ride up on the V. Arfa, at 100km/hr you're just going to be skating along on the keel!

Apart from the engine I have tried to keep the boat as original as possible. Hey, why try to improve on perfection? For a boat coming up 40 years old I still get asked if I'm interested in selling.

Cheers guys,

Chris...........
(Perth, W.Australia)

Last edited:

COSailor

Recruit

I was just wondering where you got your gas tank and the measurements, did you build a platform to mount it on? I'm looking at a project and that is one of the things I'm going to have to tackle. Any pic's?
Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I was just wondering where you got your gas tank and the measurements, did you build a platform to mount it on? I'm looking at a project and that is one of the things I'm going to have to tackle. Any pic's?
Thanks

If you're interested I have the fuel tank under the centre section of the floor. It's a custom made 180 litre (47 US gallon) aluminium tank, It has a 'wear strip' of ali welded along the bottom section and a couple of tabs on the top lip for securing to the sides of the tank space.

A few years back I did the drawings for an auxiliary tank I was (might still) put in the cabin floor. It's designed as a 55 litre tank, but if you change the length to 1600mm (63") you will get to 180 litres... I have attached a PDF of the drawing....

Chris.....

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119072&d=1319072614

Attachments

• FUELTANK.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 0

COSailor

Recruit

Thanks Mate,
That makes more sense than mounting on a base, plus you get more capacity. I'll just have to find a fabricator that speaks Aussie to figure out those millimeters and things.

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for the delay, I got side tracked with a car project. I love gas!!! There I said it, C'mon US drill baby drill!
I have been accumulating parts over the last year.
This is what I have. Chevrolet theme, yes this will all work.

1) Berty 20 bahi mar (sweet)
2) Volvo penta V8 350 2 brl 315hrs fresh water soon to be FWC for salt water.
3) Merc A1 transome assembly gen 2 (mint) w/bellhouse
4) gen 2 outy (mint)
5) 54 gal alum tank (great) needs fuel out put tube fixed will tap for my fitting ez fix
6) Fold down helm and mate seats, old school from old CC 2b cut n reworked
7) mic components to complete, flywheel, trim, PS, fwc, etc..

Thanks for looking, I will be starting the build April 2nd 2012 or so. Stay tunned, visit often, and say Hi when you check in. Happy 2012 Boating season I can't wait!
Jeff

$(KGrHqQOKpsE5WmDCMppBO,ojSkK1Q~~60_3.jpgtank 98.jpg3n93oc3l25Qf5P35Rf9bdfad077d531f9154d.jpg

Last edited:

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys still workin on her. I've built & glassed in new wooden motor mounts, will repaint entire bildge & fuel tank area. The aluminum tank to be fitted. Stripped exterior transom below water line, (the gelcoat was shot) so then I resin/epoxyed for protection and primed, needs some filler and repaint. Pictures to follow.