My new Boat

timovgod

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the boating world and recently bought a 1982 Beach Craft with a cuddy cabin. It is 19ft. Not sure of the model. I was told it was a chevy 350 motor in it, looks like it could be, but was told by a boat guy not to refer to it as such. It is an OMC with a closed cooling system. I have been doing some work on it, new impeller, thermostat. That fixed the cooling problem. New plugs and oil altenator. I took it out on Sunday and ran into a problem. when the motor builds up some compression, my old rusty starter doesn't have the umph to turn the motor over. if I turn the motor to a lower compression stroke I can fire it up, long story short, i need a new starter. Anyone know what starter I need, model number or part number. It appears to have 2 bolts holding it in, one into the flywhell housing and one going straight up. Any help would be appreciated

Chris

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: My new Boat

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the boating world and recently bought a 1982 Beach Craft with a cuddy cabin. It is 19ft. Not sure of the model. I was told it was a chevy 350 motor in it, looks like it could be, but was told by a boat guy not to refer to it as such. It is an OMC with a closed cooling system. I have been doing some work on it, new impeller, thermostat. That fixed the cooling problem. New plugs and oil altenator. I took it out on Sunday and ran into a problem. when the motor builds up some compression, my old rusty starter doesn't have the umph to turn the motor over. if I turn the motor to a lower compression stroke I can fire it up, long story short, i need a new starter. Anyone know what starter I need, model number or part number. It appears to have 2 bolts holding it in, one into the flywhell housing and one going straight up. Any help would be appreciated

Chris

Welcome to iboats timovgod. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your new boat.

Regarding the starter, I'll give you a suggestion for a good, inexpensive source for starter, but as boat drive trains are not boat brand specific, I recommend that you post questions like this in the I/O forum above.

I bought a PMR high torque gear reduction starter from this outfit on ebay. These blow away conventional starters and are very affordable. You can call/email and ask questions. Hope this helps.

http://stores.ebay.com/DB-Electrical-Starters-Alternators_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

timovgod

Recruit

Hi Me again.

Got a starter, OMG, that was not easy to change, had t reach under the engine as far as my arm could reach to get to the inside bolt, I'm too big to squeeze into the tight spots. Anyway, installed and running great. Now I have a couple questions that do relate to my boat, but not really about my boat. First, this came with a GPS/Fishfinder. It is a SEAVIEW 2000, it has no manual and I can't find anything about it on the net. Anyone ever heard of it? Second, I would like to redo the interior, does anyone know of a place that sells cheap back to back seats and jump seats. I have already checked out overtons and the likes, don't want to spend more on seats than i spent on the boat. :)

Thanks For any help
Chris

sinkrswim

Cadet

Have you looked at what Cabella's has to offer? They have reasonably prices seats, marine grade vinyl and carpet. My husband and I recently replaced all of these items in our 1983 beachcraft.