horsepower rating for omc 5 liter 4 barrel

drisky

Cadet
I Am "brand New" To Boating And Recently Purchased A 1984 Beach Craft Bow Rider 18 Foot. It Has An Omc 5 Liter 4 Barrel Gm Engine In It. I Was Wondering If Anyone Knows The Rated Horsepower Of This Motor. Thank You For Any Assistance Drisky

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: horsepower rating for omc 5 liter 4 barrel

Drisky, welcome to iboats. Your engine is most likely a 305 chebby, that came with a 2 bbl carb and was rated at 198 hp. I believe that the 4 bbl was added. You want to make sure it is a 'marine' carb for safety sake. Alot of unknowing people have used automotive parts without understanding marine safety issues. You should also post this question in the I/O forum up in the top section for verification. There is a lot of Knowledge up there.

Mechanicals in the marine industry were not boat brand specific. You could have 20 brands of one model year that had the same config as you have.

This forum, here, is best suited for general brand interest. Please post some pictures and anything you know about your boats history.

What area do you live in? Your boat was made in Salem Oregon. They are no longer in business.

drisky

Cadet

Thank You For The Quick Response.the Valve Cover Had A Decal From Omc With Some Specs On It But It Had In Big Letters 5 Liter 4 Barrel And Its Definitely A Factory Decal. It Has Another Decal Omc Sterndrive Engine Model # 504sthrctr Serial # J775415 Outdrive Model # 982742 , Serial #j326304. I Live In California , Monterey Bay Area , Again Thanks For Any Additional Help And Nice Meeting You . Drisky

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OMC 305s came with 4 barrels for many years. In fact, I have owned 2 that came with them..one was a 75 and the other was an 87. If I recall, both engines were rated in the low 200s for HP.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

OMC 305s came with 4 barrels for many years. In fact, I have owned 2 that came with them..one was a 75 and the other was an 87. If I recall, both engines were rated in the low 200s for HP.

Learn something everday. Quit paying attention to OMC's when they dropped Ford motors. Actually, now that you mention it, I think those were the ones rated at about 225 hp.

That's good for drisky. He doesn't have to worry 'bout auto parts.

drisky

Cadet

Again Thank You Gentleman For The Positive Info.if I Can Help You In Anyway , Please Feel Free To Ask .i Came From The Autobody Environment,specializing In Restoration Of Older Porsche Race Cars. If I Can Help Just Let Me Know Thank You Drisky