looking for advice/taking out of storage - 1986 BR Capri

nposluszny

Recruit
Hello, I am looking to get some advice/suggestions. I have inherited a 1986 Bayliner Capri from my uncle (appears to have a 2.1 Volvo Penta IO, not sure of hull length, approx 19-20') and plan on keeping the boat and rehabbing her - the sentimental value is through the roof for us. The boat was kept under cover in a lean-to, well wrapped but not climate controlled or anything. It appears to have been winterized after it's last season, 2012 is our guess from the registration documents. I can see that it does require some fiberglass repair and probably a new gel coat but for right now I'd like to get the engine going. My uncle was always meticulous about tending the boat years ago, but I'm not sure how it's been maintained over the last 5-7 years. Are there any good instructions out there for starting this process? Also, I have looked up the HIN in hopes of determining the boats length, that didn't help. Where would I be able to figure that out?

I appreciate any help! Mikey B cropped.jpg

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based on the length it is probably a 1950 model. It came in both a cuddy and a bow rider version.
I have had both version in the 1985 vintage.

If it is in fact a 1986 model it should have the 2.3L volvo engine, not the 2.1. That would be the AQ125B version.
You can tell which you have from the HIN as the make year is right in the number as a 2 digit number.
You can also tell from the helm. Up to 1985 they had regular dial gauges while 1986 got some very Star Trek like gauges.
If you post a picture we will be able to tell.

I have some experience in refurbing these engines so let me know if you have specific questions once you confirm the model of the boat and engine.