Bayliner 2452 Fuel Tank Replacement need information

fish6575

Cadet
Hello, new to iboats so bear w/ me. I have a 94 2452 Cieras that the fuel tank is leaking on. I would like to know how most tank replacements are preformed. Does the deck need to be cut, can the engine be pulled and the tank removed through the bilge? Just looking for as many options as possible. I don't really want to cut a hole in the deck. Also I'm from Lancaster, PA so if you know a good place to have the work done please advise. I have fiberglass experience ie. replaced fender on my 70's corvette and redecked my 71 starcraft, so if possible I would like to do it myself.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Bayliner 2452 Fuel Tank Replacement need information

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Sadly, I don't think you're going to be able to avoid cutting a hole. Even if you removed the motor, there is still a bulkhead between the engine compartment and the fuel tank.

fish6575

Cadet

Thank you.

I contacted Bayliner and this is the response I recieved from them.

"The holding tank and water tank are both directly above the fuel tank. These need to be removed. If memory serves the cockpit floor will have to have a small section cut out after the engine is removed to give the room needed to get the fuel tank out. The bulkhead separating the engine compartment from the fuel tank compartment will also need to be sectioned so the tank can come aft. when the replacement tank is installed the bulkhead will need to be sistered back in place and glassed over. Feel welcome to contact us with any questions as you explore and get into this project".

Ok, now that I know how to remove the tank what would you recommend as a replacement. I'm really leaning towards a stainless tank. Good idea, bad idea?

fish6575

Cadet

It will be a week or so until I start this project, but once I do I will post pictures for those of you interested in the process. I'm all but certain that there are others with leaky fuel tank problems out there.

NYBo

Admiral

A stainless steel tank would have to be custom made and would likely cost at least an upper and lower appendage (i.e. an arm and a leg).

If properly mounted and kept dry, an aluminum tank will last for a very long time. There should be a label on the old tank that indicates the manufacturer and a model number. With luck, it's still legible. You might even luck out and find a suitably sized replacement here.

fish6575

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will check the tank for the label, and hope it's still legible.

I know that the stainless tank will cost so $$$$, but with the ethanol requirements for fuels constantly changing I don't trust putting a permanent poly-tank in. I heard a rumor last summer that marinas maybe allowed to sell straight gasoline with only a die added for identification, like diesel and fuel oil, in the near future. Until a straight non-ethanol gas is supplied, I'm staying away from the poly-tanks.

EPJ

Recruit

I have the same problem with my 1994 2655. The manufacture of my tank was RDS.
I gave them the part # off the tank and they are building one now. Takes about 3 weeks for construction and shipping.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/index.htmlRPS

EPJ

fish6575

Cadet

Thanks EPJ,

How has the removal of the tank been? I plan on starting this weekend.

EPJ

Recruit

I have to pull the engine and outdrive first, should start Saturday.
EPJ

fish6575

Cadet

I wanted to start mine this past Saturday but the weather hasn't been to cooperative. Add to I'm in the process of replacing trailers undercarriage. Hope to begin this weekend and will post pics.