1987 Bayliner Capri - Engine Question

mstg007

Recruit
We have a 1987 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3L, 4 cyl, OMC Cobra engine.
The engine was running normal at 30 mph and just started to lose power and died out on the water.
We were getting plenty of gas and it just wouldn?t start. Turns over great, just won?t start.

Last weekend, I installed new points, condenser, rotor and coil, set dwell, had spark and even with starter fluid, could not get it to start. I was unable to replace the Distributor cap, couldn?t find one.

Items still to do:
Check Timing - How do you check just to be safe! Thanks
Change plugs

Any Ideas? Thanks for the help!

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Bayliner Capri - Engine Question

Fuel/spark/compression. If the timing looks good and you have fuel, then check the compression. I'd check timing chain/belt if they are all bad, but odds are its fuel or spark. If your distributor runs off the cam and your timing shows to be way off, then that might be jumped cam chain/belt. Timing should never change unless distributor bolt comes loose.

Bifflefan

Commander

We were getting plenty of gas and it just wouldn?t start. Turns over great, just won?t start.

Last weekend, I installed new points, condenser, rotor and coil, set dwell, had spark and even with starter fluid, could not get it to start. I was unable to replace the Distributor cap, couldn?t find one.

First, stop throwing parts at it.

you need to find the problem.

when you say getting plenty of gas, does that mean you have gas in the carb and the squirters are working? Is there water in the gas? filter in the carb plugged?

If it wont start on fluid then you have no spark, or the timing chain has jumped, or just plain have no compression.
Do a compression test, and check for spark. there are test for this in your manual. IF you dont have one,,, GET ONE!

Or there is the other idea and thats take it in and have a mechanic repair it. costs more but it comes back running fine, usually.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking by the way it died it's a oil or fuel sensor. Perhaps the engine thinks the oil pressure is too low? Dunno, sounds like a sensor though.

To just die like that kinda/sorta instantly (within a minute?) makes me think it's electrical and not mechanical.

mstg007

Recruit

Rotor turns, timing belt still tight.
Need to use the timing light to check timing.

Is there any tips for checking the timming in the boat?
Thanks!