Steering wheel removal

bear_69cuda

Commander
Can anyone tell me how to remove my steering wheel? Doesn't look at all like an automotive one?

Thanks!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering wheel removal

Bayliner used standard steering hardware and wheels. Usually a teleflex helm and Dino wheel. That means a tapered keyed shaft that holds the wheel on with a nut. Pry off the center cap of the wheel and expose the nut and shaft. Loosen the nut until even with the end of the shaft, and while pulling up on the wheel, strike the nut with a hammer and the wheel should pop loose. Remove the nut and the wheel will come off.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Bayliner used standard steering hardware and wheels. Usually a teleflex helm and Dino wheel. That means a tapered keyed shaft that holds the wheel on with a nut. Pry off the center cap of the wheel and expose the nut and shaft. Loosen the nut until even with the end of the shaft, and while pulling up on the wheel, strike the nut with a hammer and the wheel should pop loose. Remove the nut and the wheel will come off.
Bingo !!
A shot of PB Blaster if really stubborn - and apply a little waterproof grease on the shaft before reinstalling. Tape that key onto the shaft so you don't loose it. Please don't ask me how I know that !!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks dudes!

I figured it was like that... Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a special puller tool!

Thanks again!