1984 Bayliner Capri Side Panel removal

Todd Dryer

Recruit
Does anyone have any advice to removing a side panel on my Bayliner. I have to replace the steering cables and can't seem to figure out how to remove the vinyl panels. I have removed a couple of up front screws but the panel seems to be attached along the top and I see no way to release it. Does it slide up ?? Am I missing hidden screws or bolts ?? Thanks

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Bayliner Capri Side Panel removal

Some of the screws have a vinyl colored plastic cap covering them. The cap is just slightly larger than the head of the screw. Have you uncovered and removed these screws?

On my 85 Capri Cuddy, the pannels are held on with screws, you just have to find them all.

I also plan on replacing the steering cable. I noticed that the cable is run "the long way" to the transom, not straight along, but up high above the outboard control, then down near the rear seat, then back up under the gunnel and around to the transom. My guess is that my 1600 Capri Cuddy has a much shorter distance from helm to motor, and Bayliner probably buys the cables in bulk cheap in one size, and snakes them around on short boats to make them fit. Can't think of any other reason for having a cable that is obviously 5 feet or so longer than it needs to be in the boat. When I buy a replacement, it will run straight along the hull and not snake around.

Todd Dryer

Recruit

Side Panel has been removed. I was unaware of those hidden screws. Thanks. Now the real job begins. I need to put in a new Morse Teleflex rack and cable steering setup. Any advice before I begin ......?

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

so glad i read this. i have an '84 capri cuddy 16footer. my steering is getting a little harder so i may need to change out the cable. i did notice the caps on the screws & think i'll be ok.

Q: will grease help along the connecting bar & cable?

Q: if new cable is needed, is this a difficult jo?

Thanks dave

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

so glad i read this. i have an '84 capri cuddy 16footer. my steering is getting a little harder so i may need to change out the cable. i did notice the caps on the screws & think i'll be ok.

Q: if new cable is needed, is this a difficult job?

Thanks dave

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Q: if new cable is needed, is this a difficult job?

Thanks dave

I didn't have to remove any pannels. Just pull the carpet back in the top of the gunnel to expose the bundled wire harness and steering cable. Cut off all the tie wraps. In the rear, remove the speaker and reach in the hole to cut off the tie wraps or reach in around the side. Remove battery and reach up to cut off the tie wraps. Be very careful not to cut any wires or the speedo tube. Then take a sawz-all and cut off the cable right near the outboard. Disconnect the cable at the steering helm, and pull the cable out from the helm. Without the motor end on the cable, it should slide right out. Put new tie wraps on the wires. Remove outboard to remove the part of the cable in the through-tube.

Measure and order a shorter cable that runs from helm under motor controls, right past speaker and out rubber boot. Don't bother getting one long enough to snake all the way up to the top of the gunnel by side glass. Install new cable in through tube and snake through the cabin up to the helm. Re mount motor.

No, you cannot replace the cable without removing the motor, or at least sliding it all the way to one side.

Any advice where to find those hidden screws? I see some in the bottom but that's about it. If I unscrew the bottom screws will the panel just slide up?