First time buying a boat - need some advice on the 2000 Bayliner 1950

Ghurty

Cadet
I am new to boating, my experience until now has been renting a boat in the ocean or lake 3 or 4 times a year. I moved closer to the ocean and am thinking of getting a boat.
I am looking at the 2000 Bayliner 1950. Near me there is a bay that is protected by the ocean, would the boat be able to handle that?
I read that the boat is not super powered and would have difficulties pulling skis, while that doesnt concern me, does the boat feel like it is moving or does it feel like it is going slow? (I would have a small family on it). I know it is not a jet boat.

Is $3800 a good price, for it being in good condition and including a trailer?

Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

read this http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

as far as the bayliner goes, not sure what it has for a motor (you didnt specify). the motor is what will determine how much power it has.

as far as price goes. cant tell you if $3800 is low or high because we dont know the condition of the boat.

for a first time boat, you want to buy a garage kept immaculate boat

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

What bay are you boating in? Knowing that might help. Not many small Bayliners on the ocean though.

Ghurty

Cadet
Thank you.

Ill look through the checklist.
The engine is a 3.0 4cyl Mercruiser engine. (I had thought they all come with the same engine)

While I have not seen it in person yet, from the pictures everything looks like it is in good very condition (the seats dont looked ripped, etc..). The price includes a trailer.
I would be using this in the Barnegat bay (and the rivers leading into it).
To be honest, my goal with my first boat is to see if it is something that I will be using often. If I do end up using often, I have no problem in the future upgrading to a better one. So on one hand, I dont want to to spend too much on the the first one, but on the other hand it has to be a boat that is at least a little bit fun to drive and that wont have issues.

Thank you

tpenfield

Staff member
$3800 is pretty much the low end of the investment scale, when it comes to boats. I think your issue will be to avoid getting something that may be a money pit. Boat ownership does cost money and 'stuff' is always going wrong with boats, it seems.

The Bayliner is an entry level brand, so it is a good first choice for a boat. From there you can see how much to use it and if you like boating in general. I think the challenge will be to see if there are any major issues that would sour your first experiences of ownership. I would want a 'sea trial' and you should check the boat out for signs of trouble (soft floor areas, cracks or stains in the structure). If you can bring an experienced boat owner with you when you look at the boat, that may help.

Just remember, there are plenty of boats for sale, so you don't necessarily have to get something that is not to your liking, although nothing will be perfect. Last time I bought a boat (5 years ago), I looked at 12 boats over the course of several months. I actually looked at a Formula 28 footer in Barnegat Bay . . . needed quite a bit of TLC, so did not come to terms.

Ghurty

Cadet
Thank you. In the end that boat listing disappeared. So my hunt is on. The best thing is if I could find a professional who knows boats who I can pay to review the listings. But I will need to find someone trustworthy.

Thank you