Bayliner 2355 Ciera Newbie Can i "beachpark" this craft

robpack

Cadet
Hi guys we just purchased a very nicely kept Bayliner 2355 with a cabin. My stupid question of the week is as follows. If I find a nice "soft unrocky" place can I gently put the bow of this 5000 lb boat on the bank and tie off? No one at the marina (I'm in central PA) at raystown lake--has ever tried it? What does everyone think? Just would like to pull on shore to fish, swim etc? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! So far we love this boat stayed in it 2 nights, nice and comfy, dry and odor free in the hold and looks like new even though it is a 99..............

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You can. But it will add wear and tear to your keel. I know a lot of boaters with boats that size that drop an anchor and tie off to shore with just enough water underneath to keep afloat so they don't beat up the bottom. I added a keel guard to the front half so I could drag the bow up on shore. Like you stated, be careful what you beach on and you can keep scratches and wear to a minimum.

Welcome to iBoats!

Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

you can, however like Rick mentioned, its going to grind down your hull. a keel guard would help if your intent is to beach it.

your beach cant be too shallow either, otherwise you will tear up your outdrive and most likely need to be towed off the beach.

I used to beach my 19' bow rider all the time. a little cove where the bow was on the beach and the outdrive in 11' of water. my 24 doesnt get beached as the bow is too high - no point to do so.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No problem doing that. Done it all the time with every boat I have ever owned. If it's calm, I also bring my boat in sideways to the beach.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't beach my glass boat but lot's of people have different outlooks on this. It is common on our lake for people to speed up and ram their 6 figure, fiberglass, I/O boats up onto the rock laden sandbar all summer long. Their keels are damaged and worn down and the folks just don't care.

robpack

Cadet
thanks for the info....I'm still kinda leary as there will be boat passing making a wake....perhaps the keel guard or my local "surplus store" sells 6 foot by 4 foot rubber mats approx. 3/4 inch thick? Perhaps put one of those on the shore then drive onto it?

jkust

Rear Admiral
thanks for the info....I'm still kinda leary as there will be boat passing making a wake....perhaps the keel guard or my local "surplus store" sells 6 foot by 4 foot rubber mats approx. 3/4 inch thick? Perhaps put one of those on the shore then drive onto it?
I don't see the mat as a practical solution in real world conditions. Keel guard is an easy solution for at least the keel. The folks I see that ram their boats up onto shore are also unconcerned with the fact that the water isn't deep enough for their I/O outdrives versus the outboard drives that tilt up further so depending on your situation, that may be a problem as well. My take is that you are either a beacher like Bruceb and just don't care as life is for living and not sweating the small stuff or uses two anchors and moors it out a bit or possibly are that person that avoids it completely.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I only beach if there is absolutely no wave action. 95% of the time I am bow out because it is easier to get off my boat that way.

At Lake Powell, if I am in a canyon with no waves, I am always sideways.
DSC01035-1.JPG

At Lake Tahoe, where there are more waves and the sand is more coarse, bow out
20150624_130438.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With a Baylner Cierra 2355, not sure if you could even get off the bow if you beached it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is where I used to beach

photo-1-29656-20131011093805.jpg

the bow is on shore, the prop in 11' of water. in a fast going tide, the water is moving by at about 20 knots. if you jump in, you end up coming up to the surface about 10 boats down.

however with the current boat, bow would be too high. so we park just a bit further up in longboat pass on jewfish key

9278_standard.jpeg

with the keel guard on my SeaRay, I would come in toward the shore, just as the bow hit the sand, blip the throttle to lift and push. to get off the beach, simply back up. need to watch the tides and time, as if you beach on an outgoing tide, you will need to move the boat soon, or wait for the tide to return 10 hours later.

robpack

Cadet
Thanks guys, I have owned bayliner bow riders and pontoon boats....NEVER something of this size-----I will not beach it---but I do like the sideways idea....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure the side that you do that with is not the side where your transducer is.

If you notice the stern walkway for my boat is on the port side so I made sure I mounted the transducer on the starboard side. I also put my under water LED light on the same since as the walkway so I can light up the water right there.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I use the stern in approach often. Not as fun with the carver as the bayliner had a huge swim platform right at the waterline . Easy in and served as the bar.