1982 Baretta Info

Eleos

Recruit
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am looking into purchasing this 1982 Baretta. I don't know what model it is or what engine it has since the owner is from another state. I'm pretty sure it's a Brretta Success Bowrider from some of the information I have seen on this forum (which is great by the way). The asking price is $650, which I think is a fair price. This boat is running and my brother looked at it and said it is in decent condition. I would like to restore it and would be willing to spend about 1k on it. Could someone confirm the model? This is my first boat and I'm super excited! I'm going to move to Oklahoma next weekend and I will look at the boat then. What should I look for before I commit to buying the boat? The owner said he would let me take it out on the lake before I bought it. He has had the boat for several years and he takes it out every summer but he bought a pontoon so he is going to sell his Baretta. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CIMG0033.jpg
    CIMG0033.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0025.jpg
    CIMG0025.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0027.jpg
    CIMG0027.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0028.jpg
    CIMG0028.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0029.jpg
    CIMG0029.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0

Eleos

Recruit
Re: 1982 Barretta Info

Here are more pics of this boat.

Attachments

• CIMG0030.jpg
    CIMG0030.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG0031.jpg
    CIMG0031.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG0032.jpg
    CIMG0032.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0034.jpg
    CIMG0034.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it runs and drives + that trailer looks pretty decent it's worth the $650.

My concern with any old (and obviously been left open to the elements) fiberglass boat is rot in the transom, stringer, and deck. Replacing these is a major job, although totally doable. Since you mentioned restore, you may already be hip to those issues.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 Baretta Info

it looks very very similar to mine. mine is an early 80's success.

if it runs and the trailer is good 650 is a decent price.
check the floors very very carefully.. and you will spend way more than 1k on re doing it. look through some catalogs or the Iboats site. just for seats and other interior peices will cost you plenty. and if you have to re-do the stringers and transom and floor. the cost will rise quite quickly.

has it been painted or re-done in blue? because the dash is brown (nearly identical to mine). and my boat is brown...

I paid $300 for mine, not running, but engine free and a good block. with an ok trailer. and soft floors.

Eleos

Recruit

Thanks for the replies,

I will make sure to check the transom, stringers and deck to make sure they are still ok. I'm hoping that since Oklahoma doesn't see much rain that they are still good enough. The owner replaced the seats but he didn't mention anything about painting the boat. I would love to see this boat get some much needed attention and I will keep everyone posted on whether I buy it or not. I should know by the end of September. I think that this boat is perfect for a novice and I always think its a good idea to start with something relatively cheaper before upgrading. Hopefully I can get this beast out on the water before the end of September and I can update you guys. Have you named your boat? I'm thinking about the S.S. Minnow.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oklahoma is a little bit dryer than colorado, but I know a boat sitting outside
it really doesnt matter. cause the moisture seems to find its way in. and once they get wet. they seem to never dry. my boat the floor and stringers are all rotted. originally came from missouri before becoming a colorado boat.

as far as naming a boat. there is a proper protocol for the naming of a boat.
(search the acrhives). naming a boat property is a big deal otherwise you invoke bad karma..I suggest you read up on proper naming ceremonies. I had no idea it was so involved. and no I havent named mine yet. I have had a few names I was kicking around. but until I get is sea worthy I will refrain from the naming. other wise it might be called f%&* boat.

Eleos

Recruit

Nice. Thanks for the advise. I didn't know that naming a boat was so involved but I'm going to look into naming it properly. I was worried that the guy was going to sell the boat to someone else but I got confirmation that he is going to hold on to it for me. I'll be moving in about a week so I'll take more pictures when I get there. I can't wait to get this boat on the water.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cant wait to see more pics, but then I happen to love the lines of the Baretta's :)