84 baretta success???

im looking at buying a 84 baretta success 19', could anyone tell me anything to look for in this boat? it is getting new seats right now, should i keep looking? or is it a good buy for 4k? engine is a 3.0 140hp merc with cobra outdrive.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 84 baretta success???

I bought an 86 Baretta Super Sport the few weeks ago. The interior was shot, but the engine was in excellent condition. The guy said he rebuilt the floor, but his idea of a rebuild was to cut out a piece of plywood & lay it over a rotted floor. I only paid a grand for it and had I known the floor was in such bad condition I might not have bought it (would have paid less for sure). Long story short, MAKE SURE THE FLOOR AND TRANSOM are in good shape. If not, then 4000 is way too much IMO. Your best bet would be to find a good mechanic/dealer & have them take a look at it. It wouldn't be that much for them to run a compression test & do a basic inspection. Can you post any pics? I'd be curious to see it.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kartman74, did you buy that 84 success?

i havnt bought it yet. i found a 86 malibu skier for 1400 that need a new floor. thinking of taking that deal. i went boarding behind my friends sn 2001 last weekend, and it was way better than a i/o. if the guy will come down on his price, i might still get the baretta, just not sure. i will see how he fixes the floor. (found out it is rotted) so for 4k, im thinking that i will have to pass prob.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Being that I'm in the middle of a transom, stringer, floor, & you name it rebuild I would say it's better to take your time before purchasing. That is of coarse if you're into the whole rebuild thing. I was hoping that I could finish my project for 2500 max, but I'm already 1800 in & will most likely end up in the 3500 range before I'm done. I found a solid 80s Chris Craft of 4000, so if I had to do it all over again I would probably just wait for a solid boat.