early 80's baretta Success 18'

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I found an earlly 80's baretta success 18' bowrider that I want to buy. its been sitting a while, floor/stringers shot. no seats, 120hp merc engine and outdrive. but I dont know if it runs, the guy who has it doesnt know if it runs either. the engine looks new. I can get this boat for about $400, inclulding the trailer.

I have read all the forums about baretta boats, slightly concerned but not really. I love the lines of this boat. any advice??? should I run far and fast?? or pick it up.. I figure if it does indeed run.. its worth it.. but if it doesnt.. ????

heres some pics.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0

JorgeE

Seaman
Re: early 80's baretta Success 18'

Hey Colobiker...
I'm a little slow in seeing your posts, but I agree with you on the lines of your boat. I also like the older boats looks more than newer ones. Most look more like a jelly bean opne on top. Mine's an 89 Celebrity I bought last year; paid lots more than you, but will still need to replace floor before next year.
I'm also a gearhead, but not to your extent and plan on doing the work myself.
Our first boat was a '77 with a 140HP Merc; essentuially same engine as you have. The Merc 4 cyl engine is built off the 60's ChevyII (or early Nova) 4 cylinder, so it's easy to work on, but as you've learned, many parts are "marine specials" two main reasons: Corrosion in engine is more critical since you're running straight water, and explosion proofing. This is the critical one... it finally dawned on me why: If car has fuel leak, vapors drop and dissipate on floor, but a boat is a good bathtub to hold them until a spark...
My job is alternators, and am (somewhat) knowledgeable abot starters and distributors; both are special marine designs so you could run them in an explosive atmosphere without igniting the surroundings. Never go cheap on these items due to the danger.
Happy wrenching! and lot's of happy boating!
Jorge

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jorgeE,

thanks for the reply, I got the boat, its sitting beside the house covered up.
I finally got a space opened in the garage for it, then needed to replace the garage door opener on the wifes door, then.. a buddy gave me and old snow blower so ow I wanna get that running, get my pellet stove hooked up and get some stuff moved around so I can fit the boat in and start the waking up process, wanna have it on the lake this summer. then next winter pull it all apart for a complete rebuild...

the wife's not happy.. but .. then again... she rarely is with all my "projects"

captmello

Captain

I'm a little slow in seeing your posts

Me too. I don't think to look at the Baretta Forums. I'll have to check more often.

I've got a 20 foor '88 Success bowrider. I picked it up last summer for 2 grand. The floors shot but it runs good.

I can't decide what to do with it, but in the mean time I'll get some use out of it.

that 18 footer looks alot like my 20'. Front look the same however the back of mine has the swim platform built into the hull which I really like for swimming. I do like your swim plaform, the way it goes over the outdrive is unique. Makes it a little harder to work on though.

I think I've seen your posts in rebuilding threads, are you getting fired up to tackle the stringers?:)

Whats your floor/stringers/transum look like?
I can't decide what to do. Its a big project, ya know?

One thing I noticed about my boat is that even though the hull is rotten and the interior is shot, There is very like cracking in the gel coat, top and bottem. I've seem some pretty ugly gelcoat and mines not bad. How's yours look. Your top looks servicable, thats a bonus.

I think your purchase was a good bet. It looks pretty clean for the money. I guess its the unknowns. Have you got it running yet. You know thats the first thing to do.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me too. I don't think to look at the Baretta Forums. I'll have to check more often.

I've got a 20 foor '88 Success bowrider. I picked it up last summer for 2 grand. The floors shot but it runs good.

I can't decide what to do with it, but in the mean time I'll get some use out of it.

that 18 footer looks alot like my 20'. Front look the same however the back of mine has the swim platform built into the hull which I really like for swimming. I do like your swim plaform, the way it goes over the outdrive is unique. Makes it a little harder to work on though.

I think I've seen your posts in rebuilding threads, are you getting fired up to tackle the stringers?:)

Whats your floor/stringers/transum look like?
I can't decide what to do. Its a big project, ya know?

One thing I noticed about my boat is that even though the hull is rotten and the interior is shot, There is very like cracking in the gel coat, top and bottem. I've seem some pretty ugly gelcoat and mines not bad. How's yours look. Your top looks servicable, thats a bonus.

I think your purchase was a good bet. It looks pretty clean for the money. I guess its the unknowns. Have you got it running yet. You know thats the first thing to do.

I am totally fired up. but gotta get it running 1st. and being the dead of winter. I dont see the point in trying to fire it up, going to pull the out drive and replace the water pump and clean it up. then in the spring, I will re-attach the out drive and get it going..

transom looks good not soft but I havent done any core samples yet.. the floors are soft, the stringer inside the ski locker is soft. .. after I get it running I will rip out the floor, take out the foam..(if its wet) sister the stringers. slap a quick floor in it, put a couple seats in it. and spend the summer on it.. then next fall, pull it in for a complete re-do...

my gel coat is in pretty good shape needs a good cleaning polishing.. no crazing no cracks. the bimini top is in awsome shape. there are no seats, the interior is shot (severley weathered. ):(

I gotta do some work to the trailer. I am going to do that this winter as well

I did ok on the purchase price $425. if i cant get it running, I will most likely do a full rebuild on the engine. i was discussing turboing it :p(oops's hull extension thread).. i am the kind of guy who loves to tinker and mess with something... i just sold my project car, so I can focus my energies on the boat... .. I have all the tools i would need and I have a garage.. so for me its not that big of a deal. ..besides I would much rather be in my garage anyway. its heated, insulated, sterio and cable tv.. :D i am working on getting it organized now for the boat. got some stuff to move....