Admit it...You have a Baretta

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindEddy

Recruit
Re: I admit it...I have a Baretta

DrWiffel - I just yesterday bought this same boat. Actually I bought a trailer and a Baretta happened to be sitting on it. Mine is an '83 according to the VIN also [MHP18601M83H]. If you decide to project this boat, I'd [ccoletexas(at)gmail.com] enjoy corresponding with you. I'm about to vacuum the leaves and dead animals out of mine and take 'memory' pictures so I know where all the pieces I pull off go - but already know the floor and upolstry are history. ME.

Attachments

• 83BarettaLeft.jpg
    83BarettaLeft.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 83BarettaEngineGross.jpg
    83BarettaEngineGross.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 83BarettaInteriorBefore.jpg
    83BarettaInteriorBefore.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

paulfest

Recruit

I've got one - a Phaser 230 with Volvo Penta 271 (Chevy 350) with Volvo Penta Duo-Prop outdrive. It runs great - 56mph GPS verified :eek: and a fast hole shot too with the duoprop drive.

captmello

Captain

I've got one - a Phaser 230 with Volvo Penta 271 (Chevy 350) with Volvo Penta Duo-Prop outdrive. It runs great - 56mph GPS verified :eek: and a fast hole shot too with the duoprop drive.

Welcome!

We love pics!!! especially of the big phaser cutties. Very cool boats. VP, DP outdrive, sweet!

56 mph! better Check your GPS.;):D

FWIW, don't be afraid to post questions on the VP I/O forum. Lots of help over there.;)

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So Sorry to re-hash an old topic, but I have to chime in.
I bought an '84 Baretta 191 a few weeks ago from a dealer whom had "...too much time and effort to make it worthwhile....". It was listed as a 3.8 OMC stringer, but after a bit of research, I have determined it has a GM 4.3 (vortec block, but not heads) which explains why NOTHING in the OMC shop manual matches up on the engine. The engine is fairly new (the gaskets are still original colors) but no hour meter. The engine starts and runs great. The story I got when I picked the boat up is this....previous owner could not get boat to shift. used for trade-in. Dealer tracked down problem, after many hours of work and a few boxes of parts. 800 Stringer shift cable was not cost-effective for dealer. Then it sits for about a year. Because of that, I get a bowrider with a nice interior, very good engine, and a few boxes of parts to keep me busy for a while....and I got it for a song ($900).
In the last 3 weekends, I have managed to straighten out the wiring (major nightmare at first), correct minor electrical and mechanical problems ( lack of grease; power steering leak; fuel sending unit shot; altenator overcharging; rotten fuel hoses; bad wiring to bilge pump, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, and all gauges; incorrect wire routing on engine - which was not a 'problem', but aggravated me to no end.), and started rebuilding the sterndrive. There were spiders and roaches in the sterndrive water pump! I have found one soft spot in floor, but haven't done anything with it yet. I have looked for stress cracks in stern and motor mounts, but have not seen any. I did find a busted motor mount bushing, which I can't (as of yet) find a replacement for.
I have a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. :)
These are the pics from the dealer.
sterndrive.JPGside_view.JPGrear_view.JPGengine.JPGcenter.JPG

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is my newly acquired 1990 Baretta Phaser 230 OB. It has 222.5 hours on it. AQ231A engine.
587f31d7.jpg

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi mybadford:

I have the same boat cept in cuddy version. Do you have the SP or DP outdrive. What speed/rpm do you get at WOT and with what kind of prop?

phaser87

Recruit

I bought this 23 phaser this summer and love it. 350 volvo penta. here are some pics, i wanted to buy a baja islander but this boat caught my eye and saved me a lot of money!barretta.gifbarretta3.jpg

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Her's a couple of mine from the summer:

IMG_0031.JPGIMG_0215.jpgIMG_0209.JPGBanner.jpg

Ravens Fan

Recruit

I and a friend are in the process of replacing the flooring and carpet in my 1989 Baretta Success 200. The seat were taken out and now when I am re-installing them I have six wood blocks covered in the same carpet, that I cannot figure out where they go. Can anyone help me out? pictures would be helpful.

Anthonym2

Seaman
No Title

Here is my 1980 Baretta i got last year(new boat owner). Never spent a night in the water until i found it and it has 60 hrs on it. Had an incredible summer and cant wait to put it back in this year. Started up and ran great all year.....

Attachments

• photo259285.jpg
    photo259285.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

Smitty000

Recruit
I just picked up a Success with a 2bbl 4.3 and the previous owner said it will work great on muffs out of the water but once you put it in the water it will bog out and shut down with a strong smell of gas and if they waited 5/10 min it would restart and repeat again. New carb installed.... any help would be appreciated thanks

zinger54

Recruit
snlgraham. Lets bring this forum back to life!! I admit I have had my sucess for 16 yrs and I have have a blast with this boat. I can remember saying to my self after being out all night," if I cast my line out just one more time... I'll be late for work!!!

I paid $1000 for boat and trailer. Dropped her in the water and off we went. Since then I have gone through the mercruiser 140 which still runs good. Spent many many hours out on Lake Lanier and only got stranded twice. Once was a coupler the other time it was ignition coil. However fellow boaters are great people and got a tow in both times.

​​​​
After years of fixing and patching floors/ understructure , along with a very noisy gimble, I have made the decision to do a more in depth restore. Now in my tiny carport she is getting a transom, engine box and mount, stringers, floor, side walls, throttle/shift cables and completely replacing the old rotten wiring. I got her a rebuilt carb, fuel pump and a new alternator. I hope..... I really hope....to get her back in the water by spring.

One issue is I have never used the permanent belly fuel tank. It has a leak. I thought that while I had her all in peices that I would pull the tank and fix or replace it. Right???? Well little did I know that it is made of plastic and because it located under the open bow...it has an odd triangular shape. I have been told that it is not patch-able and I haven't been able to find a replacement . Dose anyone have ideas ??? Alternitives????

And rebuilding the gimble..... never done this before. I will have questions. Thanks.

​​​​​
​​​​​​

Status
Not open for further replies.