I also have a Baretta

LeeRobertE

Recruit
I picked up a 1986 Baretta with an OMC Cobra 4 cyl engine. So far I'm satisfied with it but I haven't had time to use it as much as I'd like to. My biggest concern is that when I pull it out of the water and remove the drain plug it always seems to have a lot of water in it. More than I think it should. I also wonder why the bilge pump is not pumping it out. I know the bilge pump works but my suspicion is that the bilge pump is in the back of the boat under the engine and I think that in the water the front of the boat is lower in the water than the rear.

Anyone else experience this?

cm5408

Seaman
Re: I also have a Baretta

i have had similar problems to alot of what you have said. I have had my boat for two years. I never had any water until late last year. I have spent many hours and dollars trying to find it and i think i just might have last weekend.

First i replaced the bushing around the steering fork, because i could see it leak a little. next i replaced the bellows for the u joint because it was cracked...not such luck. checked the seals around the transom exhaust...nope. finally i checked the 6 bolts that hold the outdrive housing to the transome....they were all really loose. couldnt turn them with my fingers but didnt take much at all to turn them. Torqued em down a bit and resealed the housing with 5200 and i am ready to try again.

what led me to believe this was the case was last time i was out, i was actually able to see water dripping in from this opening....hope it solves it.

as for the bilge, i agree, it is way to far up from the transom. at least 4 gallons can come in before it will even pick up. i tried to move it back but there is no good place to mount it and even more, there is not enough room to work under the oil pan. i did however go to a much bigger bilge with an auto on/off switch....