1989 barretta 185 success overheats at WOT and will not accelerate

Ok so I purchased this boat and was told it ran fine, I do have experience with boats but never a Volvo/Penta combo this one is equipped with the (AQ131D/ 290 outdrive) I took it out and put it in the river for a test run and it seemed to run fine until it stopped running period so I floated it back to the dock found a faulty fuel line was the issue and replaced it problem solved so I thought. But this was just the beginning, so I took it out for the second time and it immediately starts to overheat 30 yards from the dock I brought it back in and checked the fluid in the heat exchanger (what didn't overflow) and noticed the water strainer was bone dry. SO I pulled the impeller cover and Walla the impeller had grenaded so I ran over to the marina and grabbed a new one threw it in and took off again well made it about the same distance smh. took it back home yanked everything looking for impellor pieces the mainifold,heat exchanger,waterpump,thermostat,and hose inlet on the outdrive could not find any placed all seals and new thermostat and water pump for good measure, so I finally got it to start pulling water through the outdrive again and I take it out to the lake this weekend and at idle up to 2500 RPM no overheating will run all day but as soon as you put the throttle down it would steadily climb to max temp put would get up and plane out then about an hour or so of riding it stopped accelerating all together had to get back to the dock at about 10 knots with the throttle pegged I'm at a total loss still has stock prop and bone stock set up only modification is electric points ,new plugs ,wires, coil, hoses, seals and oil I'm scratching my head here don't know what else to do PLEASE Help

alldodge

Staff member
10 knots with the throttle pegged

Howdy

Are you saying your motor is reving high but the boat is only going 10 knots, or your throttle is all the way forward but the motor is barely above idle?

Rpms will not go above 3k with lever at full throttle struggles to get even 10 knots idles fine and stays at 180 degrees as soon as you hammer down nothing happens and it hits only 3k rpm tops out at 10 knots will not plane

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking two things, first sounds like you spun your prop hub. Pull the prop off and look and the rubber section around the center of the prop. Second, when was the impeller changed last?

And the prop is fine just pulled it off and checked it I also pulled the heat exhange and all copper pipes and flushed everything

alldodge

Staff member
I didn't mention the engine coupler because you didn't mention anything about smelling burnt rubber, but since the prop hub is OK that would be my next check.

Can you put the boat in gear and turn the prop on the drive?

Yes prop drives fine just pulled the bottom of the lower unit as well to see if my pick up tube was clogged but it's fine as well

alldodge

Staff member
Things don't add up. Its in gear and you cannot turn the prop, which is what should happen. Prop is in good shape, prop hub not stripped nor is the coupler, motor turns more then 3K rpms and only get 10 knots.

Something is slipping but everything works fine, I have no clue what's wrong. I have to bow out, its over my head

alldodge

Staff member
At 1500 rpm you should be doing at least 10kts, at 2500 you should be moving at least 25kts, your only moving 10kts at the higher rpm as I understand. If this is true something is slipping. Or did I misunderstand?

Nothing slipping and 10 knots was an estimate BLUF boat idles fine and will stay at steady 180 degrees at 1000 rpm you can advance the throttle all the to full and nothing happens it seems restricted like it's tied to the dock or you are dragging a huge weight and it steadily moves up in temp to 250 ad soon as you kick It back to idle the temp comes right back down

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not understanding you and appears your having the same issue with me. I'm just going to start at this point that nothing is slipping, speed will increase as rpm's increase its only the temp keeps going up. So the speed is a non-issue in this conversation.

First impeller came apart, installed 2nd impeller and could get it to 2500 rpm before heat started to rise. Took the system apart looking for pieces and found none.

You have excessive heat if your unable to move enough water, or there is a restriction. Remove hoses and back flush everything

Ok maybe I'm not being completely clear if start the boat in the water at idle it will sit at approximately 180 degrees and idle fine as soon as I push on the throttle I get little response from the engine rpms will climb to roughly 3000 rpm no matter how far you press down the throttle it will not go over that rpm range and picks up little to no speed at the same time the temp slowly climbs to max range it feels like the boat is tied down or carry ing too much weight but it's not I have disassembled and flushed the entire cooling system 3 times and replaced the impeller,waterpump,and seals as well as the inlet hose on the outdrive to the pick up tube I'm at a total loss

alldodge

Staff member
So you have two issues as I first thought:
1) The engine picks up rpm but the boat does not increase much speed, something is slipping between motor and prop
2) The motor is over heating, not enough water going thru is my thought

DonS has a write up on this same issue on your same setup. He said need to check item 24 for corrosion
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...q131d-motor-water-not-being-pulled-into-motor

vp290.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I'm lost as to what the trouble is, suggest posting this in the Volvo Penta area since its a motor problem not a baretta. You should get more input