Baja Tri 16 Restoration

Baja tri 16

Recruit
New to forum, I just did a complete restoration on a 1979 Baja Tri 16 with original Chrysler Charger 115, This thing set in the trees behind my neighbors house for 26 years, Started restoration On July 4th 2011 weekend and finished in November, hurt back lifting motor, maiden voyage Dec 30 2011 Indicated speed with new speedo 52mph.Check out you tube 3 videos @ bajaresurrection all one word no spaces. Gave this boat to my son for 15 birthday. He is excited. Will try to post all pics from beginning to end if I can figure out how to iboats. Reply if you have questions and great boating.

Attachments

• IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 7
  • brads boat 083.jpg
    brads boat 083.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • brads boat 084.jpg
    brads boat 084.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6
  • brads boat 085.jpg
    brads boat 085.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7
  • brads boat 086.jpg
    brads boat 086.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Baja Tri 16 Restoration

Welcome to iboats! :D

Nice job. I looked at your videos and those videos can be shown here....... so I will do one for you and with a little time and research you can see we have a You Tube icon when you post (when you are in the reply mode Go Advanced ;))

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good find and GREAT JOB on your restoration. The boat looks fantastic!

Baja tri 16

Recruit

I have two more videos to upload, we finally went on the river dec 30th not much to see in the video, the new speedo showed 53 but i would like to gps it for accuracy. Thanks for all of the appreciation.

Baja tri 16

Recruit

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/BajaResurrection#p/u[/video]This is my last video, a compilation of photos of the restoration, this was my first restoration of a boat, I appreciate this forum and gained alot of insight from the forums, I have a new hobby now, good luck and great fishing to all the members.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did it have the USCG capacity plate on it when you found it? The reason I ask is that there is a guy on the Baja forum that has one ('77 model) and his boat was made in N. Little Rock, AR. Is that where yours was built as well?

I posted a link to your videos there (hope you don't mind). I suspect it's going to generate quite a bit of interest and admiration. You've got a little gem there, and good for you for saving her!

Lclong

Recruit

I have the exact same baja tri 16! My floor is rotten n I've started sandind the old stringers out! Could you please tell me what thickness of wood you used on the floor of your baja? I just ordered marine grade half inch for my boat do you think I need 3/4 or will I b fine with1/2? I was also wondering if I need supports going from side to side underneath the floor besides the stringers! Any info I can get on this boat id appreciate it ive also gutted the interior and I'm wonderinder what the original layout was in the front of the boat im going to build a bench for the back but what the front is suppose to look like is also a question! Any info would b appreciated!

jaywylie

Cadet

Great job! Thanks for the pics and videos. I have the same model Baja and haven't seen much in the way of ANY information or proof that they existed! I really enjoyed stumbling across your post. Thanks again!

PRhodes1985

Recruit
HELP ME PLEASE!! I have a Baja Tri 16 boat with 85hp Evinrude. Could any of you guys help me out? Where have you mounted your transducer for your depth finder? Mine loses depth reading at 8mph and up. I can't seem to find a good location to keep reading at speeds. Also, what size props are you using and what speed do you get. I have 13 1/4 by 17 and get 35mph. I thought about going to a 13x19 and installing a hydrofoil. Pictures would be great! Prhodes@bloomerbaptistchurch.com email.