2009 Azure 188 -Smart Tab SX installation help please?

rdl212

Recruit
I have decided and now ordered a set of Smart Tab SX to install on my 2009 Azure 188 with an extended swim platform. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that may be able to provide some help of proper placement on this boat - anyone that has already done it? Without getting too close to the drive, it looks like I would have to cross one of the small chines - would this be ok? Any photos would be fantastic - thanks.

TomV

Recruit
Re: 2009 Azure 188 -Smart Tab SX installation help please?

I have used Nauticus smart tabs on my AZ228. It has room outside of the chines, but I think you can put them across the chines.
They should be as close to the outside edges of the transom as possible. A good resource for me has been info@nauticusinc.com.
A tech named Greg has helped me out a lot, and will probably answer an e-mail question.

kabong

Cadet

I have decided and now ordered a set of Smart Tab SX to install on my 2009 Azure 188 with an extended swim platform. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that may be able to provide some help of proper placement on this boat - anyone that has already done it? Without getting too close to the drive, it looks like I would have to cross one of the small chines - would this be ok? Any photos would be fantastic - thanks.

I installed a set of smart tabs on my 188.....there is no need to cross over the small chines. Mount the tabs as far outside as possible but just inside of the small chines. Also, after drilling the mounting holes for the screws use the next size drill bit or a cone shaped stone to slightly oversize the start of the mounting holes. This oversizing is only for the thickness of the gelcoat......failure to oversize will cause the gelcoat to blister or bulge over time. Also, apply a small amount of marine adhesive to the top and sides of the mounting plates but leave the bottom unglued so water can drain.

BabyBro

Cadet

I installed a set of smart tabs on my 188.....there is no need to cross over the small chines. Mount the tabs as far outside as possible but just inside of the small chines. Also, after drilling the mounting holes for the screws use the next size drill bit or a cone shaped stone to slightly oversize the start of the mounting holes. This oversizing is only for the thickness of the gelcoat......failure to oversize will cause the gelcoat to blister or bulge over time. Also, apply a small amount of marine adhesive to the top and sides of the mounting plates but leave the bottom unglued so water can drain.

how do you feel about the performance of the smart tabs? ..most boat manufactures are not selling their boats with the auto devices, why? From an installation and price point I would think this would be the ticket...