Azure Warranty Coverage

tonetonitony

Recruit
Ok...I know this is a touchy topic and will do my best to not bash Azure's lackluster customer service.

I'm encountering some serious obstacles trying to get warranty work covered. I purchased my boat with 12 hours on it, had the warranty's transferred ($150) to my name. I've noticed some minor crazing in the gel coat in a couple areas...no big deal but would like to get them fixed. My dealer has told me how the gel coat warranty is "non-transferrable", but looking online there warranty policy makes no mention of that. Now my 2 year window of coverage has expired on the gel-coat coverage anyway so they dodged a bullet on that one.

Just noticed I have 2 stress cracks on the top hull above the midships cleats port and stbd about 2" long. I've been getting the run around on that too. Thats covered for 5 years. Dealer just wont do it, tells me to contact Azure Cust service rep Ron @ 574-264-6336 x139. Well Ron doesn't return phone calls.

My question is:

1. Has anyone had to make a warranty claim? How did it go? Any advise on how to get assistance?

2. Has anyone else had these cracks im speaking of? Do they get worse?

3. If reapeated calling dosen't work what should be my next step to get this warrantyed item covered. I don't want my local "Azure dealer" to perform the work. I can tell he honestly has no idea how to fix it.

Frustrated in Maryland. :confused:
Tony

lifeboater

Recruit
Re: Azure Warranty Coverage

Tony,

All due respect, i also own a used Azure (that i love), and had the warranty transferred thru my dealer. The form i filled out to have the warranty transferred CLEARLY states that the gel coat is NOT transferrable. In fact, i seriously doubt if any boat builder transfers that to the second owner. Now maybe you used a different form than i did, but mine was pretty clear...

tonetonitony

Recruit

My dealer filled out all the paperwork so havent actually seen where a "gel coat warranty" is not transferable. My dealer had mentioned that it may not be transferable.

The other more important underlying issue however are the stress cracks, which are still covered for lifetime.

Overall I love the boat, but frustrated when companies who use phrases like...

"If something fails within the warranty term, we fix it. Period. Ensuring that we can provide proper care for your Azure is important for your peace of mind and long term boating enjoyment. We are there for you every step of the way. After all, we want your Azure to be a source of pride, joy and satisfaction for years to come. The hull structure is covered by lifetime coverage and it's transferable to subsequent owners."

When really they're only words.

I own the Azure 278 and have had great fun with the boat. I would not recommend a new Azure, 2010, because of the transfer of ownership of the company. Know that all boat builders are about the same. The boat builder will always refer you to the dealer, assuming they take your phone call. Good luck and find a good dealer!!

I spoke with Bennington regarding Warranty Coverage last week. As of now, Niether Bennington or Sea Fox is honoring current Azure warranties since the sale of the line. I have asked for documentation as to why but have not received nything yet. I was directed to "Andrew" when I inquired about warranties. I suggest everyone with a boat that is supposed to have a warranty call and complain. I am contemplating contacting an attorney to look into class action. I purchased this boat last season and a big part of why was the 5yr warranty.

We purchased a 2007 AZ 220 back in Oct. 2007, & are happy with it. I was sorry to hear Bennington shut down production & sold Azure off. The dealer we purchased the boat from shut down in 2008, so I guess we are on our own. I would be interested to find out if any of the warranty is still good. I do have some minor vinyl work that should be taken care of.

ChristyC

Recruit

We also purchased an azure this past winter, brand new with the impression it would be under warranty. We have made several phone calls to both Bennington and Sea Fox with no suitable answers. According to Sea Fox they bought Azure as "Asset only" and they are refusing to honor a warranty on a boat they did not make (a decision made by their stellar management team) and Bennginton Marine no longer exists, they sold all the subsidiaries. We love our boat and luckily have only had very minor problems that we've been able to handle on our own, but are really missing the piece of mind we thought we were getting with a new boat as first time boat owners. Please keep us posted if anyone makes any headway with this rediculous situation!
Thanks!
Christy

hajisan

Recruit

Can someone post the contact information for the Bennington representative? I need to make some calls.

Typically, you don't get to sell off the assets of a business without someone being responsible for the liabilities. Otherwise, every business could avoid warranties by selling off assets to an affilliate and then leave the liabilities with a defunct entity. In Texas, we have a fraudulent transfer act that could come into play in such a situation. We also have a consumer protection statute (most states have such a statute).

mikes azure

Recruit

I just finished a phone call with "andrew" who would not commit to Bennington Pontoon no longer picking up liabilities/warranty work for Azure boats but did say that I could contact Mariah for their position. Looks like there is not warranty.......OUCH!!!!!!!::mad:

I think I am the fortunate one so far. My dealer has covered the warranty work on my Azure. It is the 3rd boat I've bought from them though. I doubt Bennington Marine is much different than any other builder. Truly, the buyer must beware and never trust a boat builder. If anyone hears of any hope please post the information.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last edited:

lmbean

Recruit

I am also having issues with my Azure that should be covered by my warranty. I have called Bennington and Azure and gotten no where so far. Has anyone made progress on this since the last postings?

As an Azure owner I'm disappointed with the warranty issue. I think we are basically dead in the water. Bennington has made it clear they will not cover any warranty issues and Sea Fox (bought the Azure molds) won't cover any boat they didn't build. I've owned my AZ278 since 2009 (2008 model) and have only had a few warranty issues the dealer covered for me. I'm keeping mine as it is a beautiful boat, does everything we want it to do and know that most things on the boat were built by a company still in business. I've been boating for 20 years and this is not the first boat I've owned where the company went out of business. Look at the number of boat manufacurers who went out of business or were sold to some other company during the last 3 years. What kind of issues are you having?

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So has anyone with a Bennington boat contacted Cruisers with any issues?
I get tossed back and forth:(