Common Azure Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieG

Recruit
I have a 2007 AZ-220 with a Merc 5.0 L MPI, Alpha Drive, and around 50 hours on the engine. I love this boat, a lot of fun, but having a few issues. Interesting enough I bumped into another Azure owner and the list of issues if very similar. Speedometer dead, getting water in the boat, and not getting on plane quickly. Anyone have any comments on these topics?

- Speedometer was delivered DOA from Azure. Dealer installed a second cheep plastic one and that one is dead also. What is the deal?
- Getting unexplained water in the bilge. Boat was drained completely before going out, boated for about three hours, and had about 10 gallons in the boat. Not rain or waves on a calm sunny day. Yes, I understand that most boats will get a bit of water in them but this is too much. Became alarmed when I opened the ski locker and there was 4? of water in there.
- When I pull back on the throttle too quickly from wide open to idle the engine dies. This has happened many times and should never happen with a fuel injected engine. Dealer suggested that I am going too far and trying to put it into reverse. Not the case, never even comes out of forward when I pull back.
- Boat struggles to get on plane especially with people in the back of the boat. Put 6 on board and it takes some time. Any suggestions. Still using the stock prop but thinking of changing it out.

Frustrated I can't find anyone from Azure to talk to because they keep sending me to the dealer.

Thanks,

Willie ?G?
:cool:

Last edited:

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Common Azure Problems?

maybe the water is coming from where the speedo hose is broke?you really shoul'nt pull back on the throttle to fast. as water can back flow into the piston cylinders. as for the engine dieing this will also happen when you wick the throttle on land.

kabong

Cadet

Willy, see if your dealer will let you demo a 4 blade stainless prop. Start at a 19 pitch, I would think with the bigger motor you could probably even go with a 20 pitch. I think the lousy hole shot on Azure boats is caused by to much weight at the stern. You may have to go to trim tabs. I installed some nauticus smart tabs on my 188 and the boat was reborn.

pjcrane

Recruit

Hi Willie i am a new Azure owner and I have an AZ 200 with an extended deck and I was having problems with the hole shot as well. I am now down to a 15 pitch and have ordered trim tabs like kabong so i am hoping that helps. Your water issue so far i have not encountered that or the stalling.?

PJR

kabong

Cadet

Willie, I've had more time to play with my trim tabs and have set the port tab in the number 4 hole and the starboard tab in the numer 3 hole. This has totally eliminated what little tilt to the port side that I had. The hole shot is still excellent and I still get 54 m.p.h. out of it. I had three teenagers in the back seat, one adult riding shotgun, and two adults in the bow (the adults weigh over 200 pounds each) and the boat hops right on plane with the 19 pitch 4 blade stainless. Just a side bar to pjcrane......I think you went the wrong way. When I went from an 18 pitch steel to a 20 pitch steel the hole shot improved but I lost alot of top end, the red line happened sooner, and there was too much flex in the prop blades. When I went to a 4 blade 19 stainless the hole shot improved and I regained speed. Installing the tabs were the secret, just make sure they are attached properly or you will get blisters under your gel coat. The mounting screws can't touch the gel coat because the threads will lift the coating off the fiberglass when they are tightened up.

kabong

Cadet

Hey PJ, did you get your trim tabs yet? Haven't seen a post from you since you ordered them. Just curious......

buckeyedave

Recruit

I have a 2007 AZ-220 with a Merc 5.0 L MPI, Alpha Drive, and around 50 hours on the engine. I love this boat, a lot of fun, but having a few issues. Interesting enough I bumped into another Azure owner and the list of issues if very similar. Speedometer dead, getting water in the boat, and not getting on plane quickly. Anyone have any comments on these topics?

- Speedometer was delivered DOA from Azure. Dealer installed a second cheep plastic one and that one is dead also. What is the deal?
- Getting unexplained water in the bilge. Boat was drained completely before going out, boated for about three hours, and had about 10 gallons in the boat. Not rain or waves on a calm sunny day. Yes, I understand that most boats will get a bit of water in them but this is too much. Became alarmed when I opened the ski locker and there was 4? of water in there.
- When I pull back on the throttle too quickly from wide open to idle the engine dies. This has happened many times and should never happen with a fuel injected engine. Dealer suggested that I am going too far and trying to put it into reverse. Not the case, never even comes out of forward when I pull back.
- Boat struggles to get on plane especially with people in the back of the boat. Put 6 on board and it takes some time. Any suggestions. Still using the stock prop but thinking of changing it out.

Frustrated I can't find anyone from Azure to talk to because they keep sending me to the dealer.

Thanks,

Willie ?G?
:cool:
Hello I also have a az220 with about 50 hours and love the boat and fitted nicley however the 5.0 MPI struggles to get this thing on plane. After many calls and prop tests the only thing that will fix it is trim tabs I am told. Have tried numerous props to no avail and Jay at Outdoor RV and Marine in Columbia SC has been very helpful and is working directly with this Azure model because this is an issue on all az 220 they sell. Other than that great boat and always get compliments on it. So I guess according to the dealer no prop will help only trim tabs (already tried a hydrofoil....don't bother) or get the bravo 3 outdrive. Let me know if you have heard anything else.

Thanks Dave

kabong

Cadet

Wille....I had some gauge problems when I got my Azure. I went over a wave and all my gauges went dead or worked on and off. I went under the dash and found that the harness is about 3 feet longer than it needs to be. The weight of the extra wiring pulled most of the plugs out of the gauges. I snapped them back into place and made a hanger so support the extra harness and have had no problem since. I would check your snap connectors at the gauges. I still can't figure out the water thing. If the boat is on the trailer and you put water in the lower storage area does it leak out? If it doesn't then I would put a muff on the motor while its on the trailer and see if the water is coming from the engine, if there is nothing there then it must be from the speedo hose someplace. The nauticus trim tabs I installed may be to small for a 22 footer.......contact Nauticus and see if they have any suggestions. I didn't want to deal with extra switches and hydraulics and that is why I went with the smart tabs. As for the prop I would start with a four blade 19 pitch stainless.....steel props have to much flex in the blades. A stainless prop with the tabs should fix your hole shot. Good luck

happybuddha

Recruit

Hey All,

I've been looking for a forum where fellow Azure AZ220 owners were posting. She's a 2007 with a 350 MAG Bravo 3 and flies across the water at 58 mph with a full tank and 6 adults on board. The boat has an incredible hole shot and it cuts through wakes like no other boat I've seen.

I trailer the boat so it doesn't sit in the water. This season, out-of-the-blue she has started taking on water. I'm estimating 20+ gallons in 3-4 hours. I've checked out all boots, seals, etc of the outdrive and all is fine. The have found a small, low volume leak where the thru-hull depth finder transducer is located. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions?

I hope you all are still posting to this forum, it would be great to connect with other AZ220 owners.

Thanks for insight.

willieG

Recruit

Yup, my 2007 AZ 220 still leaks and dealer has been no help. Went with the 5.0 MPI and does about 52 with a decient prop. Load it with people and that does go down in speed. Thanks for the tip about checking the depth finder. I didn't think it went all they way through the haul so will have to do some checking. My boat seems to take on water while only when boating and seems to be OK when sitting at the dock. Please keep me posted on what you find.

Matt

willieG

Recruit

All,

Looks like this is the source for Azure boating information. Did a Google search and this is the first hit. With that said you think someone from Azure would chime in. Has anyone been able to get some support directly from the manufacture about these common problems of water leaking and hole shot? Why do I have to find the water leak on a 2007 that is under warrantee?

I would like to address the issue of propellers for the AZ 220. I picked up a Mercury Mirage Stainless Steel 3 Blade in a 22 pitch from Craig?s list for a few hundred bucks. This is not the plus version of the Mirage. Going from the stock aluminum to the stainless seemed to get me out of the water better. The issue is with the 5.0 MPI (260 HP) with the Alpha drive it doesn?t have enough power to get the full potential out of this propeller. My RPMs were maxed out at 4,300 when optimal is 5,000 RPMs. The speedometer reported around 43 but need to confirm with GPS. In short, the pitch is too much for the 5.0 MPI.

Got the message on trim tabs and 19 pitch with 4 blade stainless. I would like to start with a new propeller. Can someone give me a specific model number that works well this boat? Not all propellers are created equal.

In closing, it would have been nice if the dealer was more knowledgeable about the boat when I purchased it. I like this boat! With the right options I would love this boat. I would still recommend this boat to everyone who is looking for an awesome runabout / bow rider. :)

Here are my recommendations based on personal experience and talking to many people.

• 5.7 Mag or Larger
  • Bravo 3 Outdrive
  • Trim Tabs

It would of added I am guessing about $3,000 (above what I paid for the 5.0 MPI w/ Aplha package) to the cost of the boat but would of made all the difference.

Matt

Found some 2007 cost information:

5.7L Bravo 1 Drive (250 hp) $860
5.7L Bravo 3 Drive (250 hp) $1,422
5.0 MPI w/ Bravo 1 Drive (260 hp) $868
5.0 MPI w/ Bravo 3 Drive (260 hp) $1,430
350 Mag Bravo 1 Drive (300 hp) $2,427
350 Mag Bravo 3 Drive (300 hp) $2,989
Trim tabs $828
Corsa thru-hull exhaust w/ switch - Mercury $2,279
Wakeboard tower w/ infinity speakers and additional power amp $1,462
JBL premium sound system satellite radio w/ 6 speakers and MP3 port $1,076

Happy Boating!

Matt

Last edited:

kabong

Cadet

Hey, the prop I installed on my AZ 188 was a Mercury Marine four blade stainless "VENSURA" model number 48-825900-19P and it works well on my boat with the 4.3 m.p.i. engine. I don't know how it would work on a 22 footer. When I went to a 22 pitch I lost too much speed. I didn't know that the depth finder went all the way through the hull because I never noticed anything on the hull bottom. I'll have to check it out. Every time I tried to get information from AZURE they always sent me back to the dealer also. Good luck getting any help.

kabong

Cadet

Hey, just for informational concern.....I looked under my 188 yesterday and the depth finder doesn't go through the hull. At least not on my boat, there is nothing there so the transducer must sound through the hull. It appears to be epoxyied to the floor. I also don't see how the speedometer works because there isn't a petit tube anywhere. There is a hose but its hard to tell where it goes. It must work off manifold pressure or water pump pressure. Is there anyone out there who really knows? Just curious.

AZ210

Recruit

I have a 2005 Azure AZ210 which they now actually make under the Southwind brand name, but nobody posts on that board, so I'm joining the Azure board. This is my 3d summer with the boat and I echo all the positive things about Azure. In general, I am very pleased. Mine sits in a slip all the time, so taking on water would be an issue. There always seems to be water in the bilge, even soon after it pumps it out. But from my observations, it is because the boat does not have very good positive drainage from the front to the back of the boat where the bilge pump sits. So once the water gets high enough to trip the pump, it pumps out the water and the water level in the bilge goes down. But 10 minutes later, the water has flowed from the front of the boat to the back and the pump is tripped again. Of course, this doesn't go on constantly, but usually just after I have stepped on the boat, and tilted it enough to start the process. Once it pumps the water out a couple times, it is usually pretty good to go for awhile. Don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but that's my take.

gianjoe

Recruit

Hey all,

I just bought a 2009 Azure 210 OB. The only problem I've had so far is a bad fuel gauge and a spotty transducer on my Lowrance. Both are warranty issues and I'm on a long wait list for the transducer.

The only problem I really have with this boat is that this being my first OB motor I got a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. Its a very very very nice motor but its just not enough, especially when I have people on board and we're towing a tube or skier.

That said, I have a really great time on it and I truly love owning this boat. I will watch for water coming on the boat. I keep it in a marina inside the warehouse, a very nice but very expensive option. I don't think I could ever go back to trailering unless for travel which I did once already and LOVED it. :)

Joe

kabong

Cadet

I'll try this again because I don't see my orginal post. Just a few thoughts on AZURE boats. It is hard to compare performance when the hull lengths are so different. The LOA of a 188 bowrider is 17 feet 10 inches, a 210 sport deck O.B. is 23 feet 6 inches rigged, and a 220 sportdeck is 22 feet. A longer hull will ride, and operate, much smoother than a shorter hull. It has been my experience that a longer hull gets on plane quicker also. It is also hard to compare hole shots against the twin counter rotating prop of a COBALT, which by the way are over twice the price of an AZURE. COBALT doesn't even make a 19 footer anymore. I still think that the 188 is an eye catcher but, they are touchy to operate in cross wakes and rough water during a turn. Most boats will plow through rough water when on a straight line. The 188 hull lists to port side and the boat is heavy in the stern. When I tested the 188 during demo days the water was flat calm, and the salesman riding shotgun was around 250 pounds and I thought he was causing the port list. I still like my 188 but shouldn't have had to put on a different prop and trim tabs to correct an obvious design flaw.

tjchapin

Recruit

I am on season 3 with my 188. I have a Mirage plus 19 pitch ss no real problems with handling, other than it is a 18' boat. Usually only take out 4-5 people so not a problem. With merc 305 no holeshot problems, boat runs strong. I have not seen over 53mph this season, but probably because of all the gear. I think these are great boats.

azure 258

Cadet

I have a 08 azure 258 6.2 merc bravo3. Picked it up in July got about 30 hrs on it now no problems been a great boat.

OnTilt1973

Recruit

From my experience with being in the Marine Industry for 15 years and as a current Azure dealer, any boat as heavy as a 220 needs at least 300 horsepower and a Bravo 3(Mercruiser) or duoprop(Volvo) outdrive. I see it all the time, people thinking they got a heck of a deal on a unit only to find out it was underpowered from the get go as soon as they get it out. 260 Horsepower in that boat is the equivelant of having a 3.0 in a 19' bowrider......not only in horsepower but also cubic inch delivery. We also sell Chaparral, Rinker and we were a Crownline dealer for 14 years and we never stock anything 22' and above without at least 300 ponies and a bravo 3 or duo prop. I think your best bet now is to try out some different props, add some tabs, and tell the dealer that sold it to you "Not very cool man...." IF you would like drop me an email @ birdman549@gmail.com and I will see if I can contact Azure for you to see the best way to get this handled for you.

As far as the water issue, we have sold quite a few Azures and have not had any complaints about them taking on water so I will not be much of a help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.