Avon inflatable boat wood floor boards

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,<br /><br />first off I wanna say how cool this bb is. I've been all over this place soaking (pun intended) all the info you've put out. I have a question though, I have an older Avon 12' inflatable with wood floor boards. The boards are getting very ratty so to speak. I want to make/replace the three main boards. My question is what wood do I use? Can I use Pine and the Epoxy coat the puppies? Or do I have to use a hardwood like oak and then coat the puppies with epoxy like CPES? What would you recommend. BTW I plan on always disassembling the boat after every days use so its the boat won't be in the water 90% of the time. OF course the boards will probably be wet 99% of the time while I'm in the water (going in the ocean). :D Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.<br /><br />Adam

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Avon inflatable boat wood floor boards

Adam you might just use pressure treated plywood, it alone will last and not be very expensive. You can also sand it and then varnish it for a good look also. Starboard is another option but pretty expensive it is made of a plastic type polymer and is gas and oil resistant and should outlast the boat. Good Luck. <br /><br />Thad

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info Thad.<br /><br />I just stopped by Home Depot and looked at the pressure treated plywood, $36 for a huge 4' x 8'. I can also buy single 2' x 4' for single board replacement @ $16. Now if only I could find the extruded aluminum stringers that join the two boards together. My current boards aren't like that. I wonder where I'd have to go to get that aluminum?<br /><br />Adam

gxxdman

Cadet

Hi - I replaced one of mine with plastic planks used in the building trade 150mm x 10mm ie exactly the same size as original wood ones which are now all broken. I shall replace all the others shortly. It comes in 4 or 5m lengths here and is used by double glazing firms who often have off cuts. I notice that Avon also use plastic now.

It is bendier, but seems almost unbreakable. Make sure you sand and round off ends after cutting.

Good luck - John (Scotland)

ventura tim

Cadet

I used 3/8" cdx plywood and then painted on 2 coats of elastomeric waterproofing. The plastic interconnect channels were ordered from Avon.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

The original boards are just hardwood marine ply with varnish-you won't go far wrong replacing them with the same.