AVON, not just for Make-up!

KiHoPro

Cadet
:confused: I am not sure if this where I should ask this question? If not, I am sure a moderator will move me to the proper place.<br /><br />I don’t have any numbers for identification other then this description. I bought a second hand 1984 Avon Marine Inflatable. It is 17’ 6” in with a total width of 8’. It has a center consol unit. The pontoons are made of Haphalon (spl). The hull is a teak ribbed with a Haphalon cover, and wood floorboards. When it was first sold I think they described it as a Dive Tender or Work Tender.<br /><br />What I am looking for is the proper model number or name. I am also looking for any type of owner’s manual for this Make, Model and Year.<br /><br /><br />~ :cool: Cheers :cool: ~

18rabbit

Captain
Re: AVON, not just for Make-up!

KiHo – That Avon is one of the best-made inflatable boats. Taken care of, it can out last your expectations. Avon (English) was recently acquired by Bombard (French), the company owns/makes the Zodiac inflatables and Hurricane (Canada) inflatables. The whole thing seems mildly incestuous to me.<br /><br />I have an Avon RIB, too…one size up form yours. It sees regular use as a diving platform. Fwiw, I have never gotten any response form Avon regarding my boat. I was able to get a hold of a distributor in the US that had the specs. It’s been so long I don’t recall who it was. You can get excellent free advice about your boat from any reputable inflatable repair facility in your local area. <br /><br />Hypalon is impervious to just about everything, and resists UV pretty well, too. Nonetheless, it is the UV that is likely to be the worst enemy of your new used-boat. I suggest keeping it covered when not used. Also, it’s important not to totally inflate or deflate any single tube. Make several passes around each valve so as to keep the pressure within a pound or so between chambers to prevent blowing out the internal bladder that separates the chambers. If you have any specific questions, ask here and I’ll help you best I can.

KiHoPro

Cadet

18rabbit - I think I may have located a model number. 1984 AVON Inflatable Workboat Series W5.20 (17’)<br /><br />I am still waiting on a Confirmation.<br /><br />Workboat Series<br /><br />W5.20 – 17’<br />W5.80 –19’<br />W6.50 – 21’<br />W8.00 – 26’

18rabbit

Captain

With inflatables, anything close is good ‘nuff. They change the models every few years; adding an inch here, taking a couple there… If it's not exact, don't worry about it. There will probably be a difference in valve location, minor stuff like that. Also, you likely have the older, small valves with an external twist-on cover. They are gray with Avon or the “A” embossed on the cover. The valves are actually made by Novurania, Italian manf of high-end inflatables. They are great valves but I was told they are discontinued when I bought some parts about 3-years ago. If so, getting replacement parts for those valve inserts might be challenging. However, you can replace the entire valve assembly if you ever need to.<br /><br />If you have those older valves there should be a hypalon disc inside the valve cover. It is normal for minor leaking from the internal valve; that piece of hypalon in the cap makes an airtight seal that will keep the tubes inflated a few months longer. :)

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys I have a few Avon boats. They are made well. They definitely are more than the name inflatable boat would imply like Sevylor. These are hardcore boats. I have 2 ribs and a foldable. Avons are a world different from Zodiac. First off the hypalon boats are where its at. PVC is asking for trouble, its not UV resistant at all. All consumer Zodiacs are made of PVC and cost way more than any other boat. (Nothing already said or known probably) But yeah www.nada.com would be where I look for the boat info. If its a 17' boat with wood floors I'd imagine its a workboat of some sort.

KiHoPro

Cadet

18rabbit – Thanks you for the little bit of information about the valves. I thought I had a real problem with a defective valve. I guess I will double check them all and see if they need a new hypalon disc for each valve.<br /><br />If for some reason I haven’t said this before. Thank you very much for all you help and knowledge. It is very appreciated.<br /><br />~Cheers~