Arkansas Traveler

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't heard much about an arkansas traveler, but I have one that still works great. Anyone else?

ryan1

Recruit
Re: Arkansas Traveler

I have a 63 traveler comet that I am working on and I love it

HoratioHB

Recruit

I just bought a 1964 Traveler Atlas, 16' with a 40hp Johnson made in '65. It's a bit rough, but it runs without leaks. I got two quotes today from yards to paint the hull for me, one was $1128 and the other wa $740, both using the same paint.

The windshield needs replacing, BAD, but I haven't been able to track anyone down with one for sale. You guys think a glass company could make a windshield for it?

twingtos

Cadet

I have what I believe to be a 66 or 67 Arkansas Traveler with an 80HP Johnson outboard. It is the Skijack? model. It needs a lot of work, but I think the look of the 60's boats is very cool.

SaturnII

Recruit

I have a 65 SaturnII that I am currently restoring. Have the floor out and have replced three of the strings.

olefisherman

Cadet

I just bought a 1964 Traveler Atlas, 16' with a 40hp Johnson made in '65. It's a bit rough, but it runs without leaks. I got two quotes today from yards to paint the hull for me, one was $1128 and the other wa $740, both using the same paint.

The windshield needs replacing, BAD, but I haven't been able to track anyone down with one for sale. You guys think a glass company could make a windshield for it?

used to own 16 ft lowe with 54 yr 40 horse merc stick steer .loved it .
when i painted it [blue] i got the same kind of quotes. finally i pulled the motor off turned it upsidedown, with help . sanded [wear mask] anti foul paint is not good for you and painted witr red devil enamel 2 coats . i think the total cost was less than $20.00. It was still pretty when i sold it.:)

JohnFox

Cadet

My dad just dropped of a 14 foot aluminum Arkansas Traveler fishing boat. It is 1960-61 with a Johnson 5.5 of approx same year. It belonged to my grandfather, then was handed down to me by my father and two brothers. Really looking forward to doing a full resto on it. It has brought our family many great years of fishing and many more to come.:)

Gitterdone

Cadet

My dad just dropped of a 14 foot aluminum Arkansas Traveler fishing boat. It is 1960-61 with a Johnson 5.5 of approx same year. It belonged to my grandfather, then was handed down to me by my father and two brothers. Really looking forward to doing a full resto on it. It has brought our family many great years of fishing and many more to come.:)
It might have a scupper valve in the hull at the stern, probably on the left side. Check it out to make sure it works properly. The one on my 14' 1960 wouldn't close so I plugged it off.

JohnFox

Cadet

It might have a scupper valve in the hull at the stern, probably on the left side. Check it out to make sure it works properly. The one on my 14' 1960 wouldn't close so I plugged it off.

Not sure about the scupper valve. It is just a traditional bench seating v boat. It does have a plug hole at the stern but the original plug has been gone as long as I can remember. My grandfather had just wittled one out of a piece of wood. I might try to fab one myself using a bolt plug with a rubber o-ring. Other than that, the plug hole is open and does drain. Hope we are talking about the same thing. I plan on posting pictures soon. Thanks.

Gitterdone

Cadet

s at Walmart in the boat section
Not sure about the scupper valve. It is just a traditional bench seating v boat. It does have a plug hole at the stern but the original plug has been gone as long as I can remember. My grandfather had just wittled one out of a piece of wood. I might try to fab one myself using a bolt plug with a rubber o-ring. Other than that, the plug hole is open and does drain. Hope we are talking about the same thing. I plan on posting pictures soon. Thanks.
They sell the plugs at Walmart in their boating section for $2.96 each. I filled the scupper valve in completely with underwater epoxy, the big green stick of epoxy that Walmart also sells in the boat section.

Scary Larry

Recruit

My wife and I were recently given a 14' Arkansas Traveler that is in very good condition. The owner was a widower who knew nothing about the boat except that her husband babied it. I don't know very much about the boat's manufacturing date but would guess it's the early 1960's. It's all aluminum.

I, too have an issue with the scupper valve. Apparently the previous owner had some issues with it as there is blue silicone goop tastefully applied to it. I am currently looking to find replacement parts and think I could find Davy Jones' locker a lot easier.

What I have found is that the boat went on to be manufactured in Canada by Traveler Manufacturing Co., Ltd. a subsidiary company. This company now appears to be defunct but was still manufacturing in 1989.

If I find a place that sells parts, I'll post it here.

maggiemater

Recruit

We just bought a Arkansas Travler. Don't know anything about this boat. Is there a way to find the year it was made? It is 14ft long.

kylejamie

Recruit

I have an old Arkansas Traveler and plan on restoring it on day. I haven't had any problems so far rom it other than it looks awful. i was thinking about puttin in a floor on it. is that possible? i want to fix it up with electric plugs and all. I've never done any restoration work so i'm brand new.

forrestrmiller

Recruit

I have a '72 comet 14 ft. with original Dilly Trailer, and a Lark II 40 hp. Picked it up on a trade. The motor has a minor lower unit issue, so I haven't had it on the water yet, but it sure looks fun.

bugfarmer

Recruit

just got 1962 AT Polairis.sweet.86 merc 35hp 86 ezload trailer.500dollar looks alittle differant from the ones ive seen.cant seem to track down year even know title is 1962.bow differnt from one i have seen no ribs, more like 57 seen on site. control panel differnt also.

boomer2001

Cadet

i found a 1960 ATrunabout in a field, they were using to feed an house baby goats, have completely redone it and the evirude Lark II 40hp. cool lil boat. all the original switches, gauges worked. did complete overhaul on it. the original trailer was with it, in like new condition. spent 3 weeks redoing and replacing floor, foam,cables, also added bilge pump an new drain in transome,closed off the scuffer that was rusted up. surprised at the preformance of this little boat. found parts locally.

chris276

Cadet

i have just aquired an arkansas traveller comet, am working to get it in the water asap. i beleive it was made in the 1960,s but can find little info on it. would anyone who has one be able to post some pictures? i would like to see a finished original one, as mine currently has no seats and no windsheild, and i would like to see what they originally had in them. thank you

jim lujack

Recruit

I have purchased a 14 ft utility Arkansas Traveler 1947 edition . It must have several coats of paint on it by now including the latest hastily done gunmetal grey. Last coat was white .I can tell by the three or four square feet of bottom they missed. The rub rale is in excellant condition,being painted black. I suspect I shall take off some of the layers of paint to get to the original color whatever that is. The little square of aluminum with all the information such as maximum horsepower or maximum load is gone from transom.Any information would be most helpful at this juncture.