New Nineteen Owner!!!

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 1976 Nineteen 2 weeks ago. I purchased it off of Craigslist and am stoked about getting this old girl on the water. I've had boats and jet skis here and there, but totally fell in love with this boat the minute I saw it. I love the lines, the roominess, the retro look, and of course, the hardtop. The boat has been sitting in a garage since 1999, the last year it saw water. I do have quite a few things to do before splashing her, but I'm excited to do so. Best part ever, is that my wife loves it. I really did not expect that from her, but I'm gonna take it and run with it! I did get a chance to work on it yesterday. Oil change, new impeller, thermostat, fuel filter, fuel tank, carburetor, battery. Got her running. First time I'm sure in 15 years. Upholstery has been redone, but in good shape. looks like original carpet, still in good shape. Someone has replaced the ski locker cover with a solid piece of wood. So, need to replace all the gimball boots and bearing, install a new steering system and fix the trim. Anyways, wish me luck. I'm gonna need it!!

Attachments

• photo220237.jpg
    photo220237.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1
  • photo220238.jpg
    photo220238.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1

HipToBeSquare

Recruit
Congratulations and good luck on your project. Having the wife on board is a tremendous plus, having it running already is also. It sounds like you have the skills to get her back on the water for a great 2015 boating season.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like she was well cared for over the years. Good looking and great lines!

ziggy

Admiral
congrats excalibur1031, yer gonna love that boat. and so will your wife. imho, once ya got a nineteen, i don't know what the next boat will be. having the sliding hardtop is the cats meow.

sounds and looks like ya got a worthy one too. and ya got a plan to get her up and running. yer plan is about what i ended up doing to mine. i've had mine long enough now that i'm about ready for new bellows again.

did ya get the aft curtain with it? if ya didn't, get one. maybe AristoCraft can help ya, if not, have one made. being able to go full enclosed is a real plus. i've boated in rain, hail, cold, high winds and more. i have also spent many nights on her.
yer gonna love it...

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Ziggy,
Thanks for the encouraging words....Curious as to see why the aft curtain is a good purchase for this. I did not receive one, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. From what I've been reading, folks like to use it for overnighters. What is the main use for yours? I live in Texas, and it's hot and humid and I don't know if I'd use it, but maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box!

I just want to get everything working right on the boat, I want to feel secure that when I go out, that I did all I could to ensure a trouble-free day. I don't mind putting the time and money in, because it sure the heck beats buying a new boat. I can have this one looking like it rolled off the showroom floor for a fraction of what it costs to buy new, especially since the fiberglass is in such great shape. I don't know if you noticed, but the gelcoat is still shiny. I have not seen that much especially in a boat this old.

Anyhow, I am going to make an attempt to maybe document what I do with some pictures and post, I'm not the most tech saavy person, but I know that others may enjoy the fruits of my labors.

Cheers!

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Enjoy it,excalibur. They're good boats. The wife and I really enjoy ours.

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Well, got some time this weekend to mess around with the nineteen. I wanted to show the install of the fuel tank I replaced. The original tank was rusted badly and the sending unit on the inside was pretty much non-existent. I found this tank made by Mueller and the dimensions were spot on and fuel fill, vent, and feed fittings hooked up pretty nicely. Since the original hold-down strap didn't fit around the new tank, I took some nylon strapping, put some brass eyelets in and screwed it in place of the original strap. Seems like it'll be just fine.

I also pulled the outdrive today, found a mud dauber nest in the exhaust along with half of the exhaust shutter. I realized that I ordered parts wrong for the gimbal that I have, so I ordered more parts today. I found gear oil in the bellows, so looks like the outdrive will need front seals. I guess better do them now, then risk a rebuild on the outdrive later.

I found the electrical problem with the trim today, the trim limit switch wires were disconnected and mangled so the trim motor wouldn't turn on in the middle position. I got lucky and actually found a trim limit switch online! I know those have been tough to get a hold of from reading these forums. I did pull the reverse lock-out switch off because as I was actuating the trim, it spewed fluid all over the place. Ordered in some O-rings, and I'll rebuild it.

Anyways, just wanted to keep everyone updated and hopefully this info will be good for future Nineteen owners.

Attachments

• photo220486.jpg
    photo220486.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220487.jpg
    photo220487.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220488.jpg
    photo220488.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

That's the same tank I used in my nineteen. Did you have to remove some foam above the filler hook up? Did on mine. The PO had been operating my nineteen with a hole in the bottom back side with fuel seeping out. Nice job on the tank install. My trim limit switch is bad too. I just put a jack wire to connect the two wires to the switch together so I just use the bottom and middle buttons for raising and lowering. Don't have to hold both top and middle buttons simultaneously to raise the outdrive anymore. Have fun with it. Jim

Attachments

• photo220508.JPG
    photo220508.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 0

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Jim,

Yep, had to remove some of the foam from above the filler neck to get the hose to fit, but, easy fix!! I would have bypassed the limit switch, had I not found one. Thanks for the tip. By the way, how did you secure your tank? Did you buy the hold-down brackets?

Cheers!

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

No,I just used the factory strap.

Attachments

• photo220515.jpg
    photo220515.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral
Curious as to see why the aft curtain is a good purchase for this. I did not receive one, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. From what I've been reading, folks like to use it for overnighters. What is the main use for yours? I live in Texas, and it's hot and humid and I don't know if I'd use it
i like the aft curtain. while i doubt it gets as hot as Texas, we do get hot days + many that are real humid here too. i must say i don't use it often in these conditions either. mostly i use it in fall and spring around here. many days i've seen everyone heading in due to some rain that blows in. me, i go full enclosed and ride it out nice and dry. i've even been hailed on w/o going in due to being full enclosed. i do use it mostly for cold or cool weather. i've been out on 60* days in my swim suit only, everyone else on the lake is bundled up in a sweatshirt and more. me i'm nice and toasty. it's also a plus to get away from the wind on windy days. being able to get out of the wind mostly is a real plus. higher winds really take it out of me. i also got saved from my own mistake one time. one of my worst boating mistakes. i got blew up on the beach sideways in high winds and couldn't get off. if not for the aft curtain, i'd have likely filled up my boat on the beach the waves were crashing into me sideways so hard. the aft curtain kept me dry, mostly. and yep, sleeping on board. keeps it private + warm when it gets cold out. i can be comfortable down into the low 50's when the curtain is up.
anyways it's just another option that other boaters don't have, cause they don't have a hardtop....

great your making progress on your new boat. i have no insight on the fuel tank as mines still the original one. as for the trim limit, mines broke too. i havn't even jumped the switch yet. i just use trailer function for trim. using judgement as to how far i raise it.

hope ya have a great season.

got any more pics? :) i love looking at pics of any Nineteens......

ziggy

Admiral
guess ya can't edit your old post anymore. oh well,
one last thought. i would think the aft curtain would be one of the last things ya'd do after getting her seaworthy... i might not have even got one short of i didn't need to. mine came used w/ the original aft curtain the previous owner had. they're just a nice accessory to have on hand. should you want or need one.