it was kinda windy today!

ziggy

Admiral
so me and the ol'lady got out on our short vacation last weekend. had a great 4 days @ lewis and clark lake @ yankton, SD. i believe it's the last of the Missouri river to be dammed up prior to heading off to the Mississippi. it's about 22 miles long and a mile or two wide. the long way is west to east.
so were out on our last day. wind kinda from the wnw. i don't know what the true wind speed was, but by mid afternoon it had to have been at least 30-35 sustained. man it was windy out. the ol'lady took a little video.
http://youtu.be/4i_6j4dR_zk

no speed runs today.....

were heading west on the SD side. we had to go south to get back to NE. where we were camped at.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
At least you had one day you both won't forget while you two were all tucked away staying nice and dry while out in the rough.:)

Thanks for sharing.:)

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, that's rough! Did you have any water come over the stern?

ziggy

Admiral
At least you had one day you both won't forget while you two were all tucked away staying nice and dry while out in the rough.
kinda sorta. i made a couple of mistakes out in that i think. one of which was not having my hardtop closed. it was open 8'' or so. i should have had it closed. a couple of other things i'd have done different would have been to maybe speed up just a bit. bring the bow up. trim up to help to that end even. i did neither. think i was cruising @ 1k to 1200 rpm. just above idle. the other thing i should have done was put my pfd on. i've had my nineteen out in some bigger stuff before and i always put on my pfd. my excuse would be that i've been out in this kinda wind before and feel very secure in how my boat handles larger waves and high winds. that said, there is no excuse for not putting it on.
Wow, that's rough! Did you have any water come over the stern?
nope, it came over the bow, :eek: stuffed the bow several times. the water goes right down the ft. deck and up the windshield, then with your hardtop open it drops in your lap. :grumpy: my cell phone ended up at my feet and got drenched. it was on the fritz for three or 4 days before it dried out and started working again. of course, not before i got a new one, which is now waiting for the day the drowning i gave it finishes it off....
all in all, i like the excitement of the adventure. imho, that was fun albeit it does get my full attention when i'm out in it. these Nineteens sure are some sea worthy boats. :D