68 9teen

Atlasrob

Cadet
Had posted in the basic forum but only had two replies, maybe I can get some more suggestions here. Found a 68 9teen that the owner is asking 500 for. Looks all complete with trailer but he did say it has sat outside for the last 5-7 years.....but was running when parked( don't they all say that). My previous boat was a 2004 ranger bass boat so I am new to the vintage boats. I know it would be more of a labor of love than to restore and try to sell and recoup. This boat is older than me but I find it quite intriguing with the hard top and sleek lines. My research shows that there Is little to no wood on this boat so it would mainly be cosmetic?? And mechanical??? Also looks like most parts can still be had from the manufacturer . What do some of you aristocraft owners thing about this "yard find".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 68 9teen

well, it sure looks like a lot of work to me.
i think what your seeing on most of the boat, where the paint is peeling, is really gel cote peeling off the fiberglass. from what i understand, the gel cote is the first thing to go into the mold. it becomes the outside shell of the boat. then the fiberglass is layed in after that. i think from reading, that gel cote may be hard to repair. and that one has a lot of places that need re gel coted. let alone the upholstery and the shinning out of the rest of the boat.
it looks like a full restore.
it'd be to much for me to undertake.
if it's got a 120 hp or 160 hp ya may be alright for engine. the drive would be mc-1. watch out though, the mercruiser renault engines and drives were available in that year too. that'd be a non starter to me if that's what it had.
imho, i'd go look at this one before the one that ya've found. if i got another boat, i might consider a funliner. the outboard power being the deciding factor for that choice. i/o's are just plain maint. intensive imho.

Atlasrob

Cadet
Re: 68 9teen

Thanks is for the input Ziggy, I believe you are correct in that the gel coat goes in first on the mold. I may still go and. Look at this boat though, if the guy will let me haul it it away for him, you beat free in my book. I still don't understand the whole gel coat / painting procedure and need to do more research. I have seen worse off boats then this one get restored, however Scott from aristocraft also advised maybe looking for one in a little better shape to start out with. This would be my first attempt at a boat restoration, but I look forward to the challenge regardless. The boat does have the 120 hp motor but I am not sure of the out drive and even if the motor will turn over. If I opt out of this one I think I am going to look for at least a 68 or newer 9teen model. I really like those sliding tops and seat layout. Thanks again for your suggestions