rubber bumper trim replacement

Dhopper71

Seaman
Hi all. Wondering if any of you have replaced your 19's rubber bumper trim. I'm looking at doing that on a '72 model and I'm not sure the best way to first remove the old stuff, then make sure the new goes in correctly and stays put?

Thanks in advance!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: rubber bumper trim replacement

sounds like ya got yer nineteen picked up. way to go and congrats...

as for removing the rub rail rubber. i just used a pocket knife blade to slide in underneath the rubber. start prying a little section out of the metal. after the rubber starts coming out, it will easy start coming out all the way around. under the rubber are screws that hold the metal rail to the boat.

as for getting new, i don't know? if ya can find the same stuff i'd think yer good to go. where ya get that stuff. i don't know. guess i'd start here on iboats and see what they got for rub rail stuff.. fiberglassics would be my next stop. pretty sure i've seen links there for folks wanting to R&R their old rub rails with new...

might also contact AristoCraft. they may know exactly what ya need to get or even have it...

Dhopper71

Seaman

Thanks Ziggy! I've been reading your posts and others for a while now. Also been eyeballing that boat of yours. Very cool and love the green. Stands out as different ... as it should.

Actually now getting it on Friday. I'll be doing a few cosmetic changes as soon as I get it back home. I'll be changing up the color scheme for sure. I'm going to a close to factory black top version. Have not seen any other active black ones anywhere. The seats won't be factory covered, but the $900 skins aren't in the early budget.

Can't wait to get her home and all decked out so I can hit the water. I know it'll happen a lot faster with all the help I get here. iboats is a great place!

ziggy

Admiral

I'll be changing up the color scheme
what color is it that you have. i can't tell if it's yellow or gold (got pics, more the merrier, ;)). yellow was rare too best i understand.. short production runs like the lime green.
I'm going to a close to factory black top version.
imho, be careful there. dark colors absorb heat... for instance. on a hot sunny day. my white boat can be touched easy. the lime green upholstery is much warmer to touch. seats and hardtop. usually ya don't get burned, but they are warmer than the white boat for sure... i also have a real dark green throw mat that i have in the boat. on a hot sunny day. not a chance of stepping on that mat.. maybe for a moment, but you'll move off it pretty fast. it's to hot to touch...

i was out the other day. was kinda cool out, mid 70's.. the lime green hardtop was nice and warm to touch even though it was cool out..

if you go black. you'll be able to cook on it.. it'll be that hot i think...

. Have not seen any other active black ones anywhere
i can't find it now. but in this thread when i was finally able to link to the sites. i did see one that was either brown or black... i had to look pretty hard to find it though.. sorry i can't find it today for ya, but it's there somewhere..

The seats won't be factory covered, but the $900 skins aren't in the early budget.
i hear ya.. that's some large bread.... you may be luckier than me. the lime green is nla even from AristoCraft. yours may not be nla, i don't know... i was thinking that when mine wear out. perhaps i'll try to save the inner piece, the seamless padding with the word AristoCraft on it. just reupholster the outside edges.. i've not had to do it, don't know if it can be done. but that's my best guess as to a possible fix for mine when the time comes..

congrats again on your new boat... they're the best thing since sliced bread for a boat, very versatile boats imho... :cool:

Last edited:

Dhopper71

Seaman

Morning Zig,

I'm not sure what the original color was, but it is now a dyed lemon yellow. I actually like the yellow ides, but it would have to be redone totally anyway to make it right. I'm thinking it may have been a tan/gold. Hoping the factory will shead some light on that soon. I have emailed them the serial number so maybe than can dig out the original oem specs for me.

I too was a bit worried about how the black would do in the heat. The seats I'm doing with be black with the seat and back having a white center stripe that's 10" wide. Should cut down on heat issues. I already had the vinyl material handy, plus we almost always have the kids sitting on towels, too. As far as the top goes, I'm sure the black will definitely be hot to touch. Only one way to find out how much. :)

I would love to have those oem skins with the logo, but unless I stumble upon a salvage set, it's not likely to happen for a while. Maybe I'll hear back from the company soon. Never know what I might be able to work out.

ziggy

Admiral

morning back at ya Dh.....
I'm not sure what the original color was, but it is now a dyed lemon yellow.
out of curiosity, is this your boat? it seems like i remember that boat going up for sale. it was painted and seats died i believe. could be wrong of course too. but that's my memory.. i'm pretty darn sure Scott or Bill will be able to let ya know what ya got and what color it was originally. for sure, if they can't no one can...
The seats I'm doing with be black with the seat and back having a white center stripe that's 10" wide. Should cut down on heat issues. I already had the vinyl material handy
the white stripe may save ya, i don't know, but it's sure a step in the light direction... + ya can't beat having it on hand. a no brainer to use it if funds are and issue (and for me, they always are too).
plus we almost always have the kids sitting on towels, too
yep, that'll be a winner too. i also do this. my notion is that i must surely be saving the vinyl to a degree by not sitting directly on it.. and a towel is soft, vinyl is sticky in the heat.
As far as the top goes, I'm sure the black will definitely be hot to touch. Only one way to find out how much.
i'm just sure it'll be smoking hot. you won't touch it, at least not for very long... unless ya are boating in a cool climate. in nebr. a hot summer day is 95-100*+ w/humidity... like i said. my dark green (almost black, my 'ol lady calls the color black, i call it dark green which is what it really is,:D) floor mat gets so hot ya don't step on it or you'll burn the bottom of your bare feet.. that's hot.. to be honest/blunt, i am trying to persuade you not to go black. it's been discussed here on iboats a few times... the general consensus i get, is black is real hot, uncomfortable hot... my floor mat is my proof (fwiw, even my lime green is hotter than the white boat, generally not to hot to touch though)... the choice is obviously yours and i'll also add that black boats do look real cool (they just don't feel cool.;)). and i've seen a few. one comes to my lack regular in the summer, it's all black :eek:... i can't imagine how hot it is inside that boat... maybe ask AristoCraft if they had any feedback from customers over the years about the black boats they produced (black was an option i believe)??? see if they have any comment on it.. good luck in your decision...

Dhopper71

Seaman

ziggy,

yup that's the one. looking at his old b4 pics looked like tan/gold seats, but the carpet is red. did they have a rainbow option? lol.

more i think about it, (and admit i know your right) maybe a top compromise is in order! something like:

nineteen-stripe.jpg

far from oem, but looks cool imho.

ziggy

Admiral

maybe a top compromise is in order!
looks like an excellent compromise to me...
far from oem, but looks cool imho.
agreed..... i like it... very cool looking.... great idea....
man, i'm envious... ya got the bow nav. light that has the flag pole hole... sweet... she's gonna look great if ya go this route imho... now for my humble opinion again...:rolleyes:.. the black carpet.. it's gonna scorch your feet.. :( perhaps some more compromising????

this is the mat i have in the back of my boat.. (see, it's dark green, not black like my 'ol lady says.... :D;))
IMG_5264.jpg

normally it's slid horizontal in ft. of the dog house.. this color would not be good if it was covering my whole sole.. this is the mat that burns my feet on a hot sunny day.... on the good side. i don't know if ya plan on boating in cool weather (btw, nineteens are great for boating in cooler weather. we got a hardtop and can be enclosed, :D). but if ya do. the dark color is nice to have. back to it absorbing heat... so on a cool day, i can warm my feet on my dark colored mat... very nice. but only on cool days... i guess if i had my choice. i'd go light color since the hot mat is nice on cool days, but it's intolerable on hot days.. intolerable being worse than nice. imho of course....
sure do think your heading in a great direction though..

so the painted on yellow the other guy did, didn't last? especially on the seats? i always kinda wondered how that turned out and how durable the dieing/painting of the vinyl turned out to be...

imho. i'm gonna guess your boat was originally red or maroon. based on the red carpet ya have... h2owens has a red one. wonder what color his carpet is? he's also got a red rub rail.. very stylish... is yours red too? looks it might be white from the pics of when the boat was yellow...

Dhopper71

Seaman

Hey ziggy. Yeah, that was the boat.

Bad news for me on the boat front though. Got there to pick it up and was in MUCH worse shape than all his pics showed. The pics were all nearly two years old he sent me. On top of that, it sat stored OUTSIDE in a field UNCOVERED since last fall!! Poor boat took a beating.

To look half decent, the whole boat would need new paint/gelcoat and several repairs that weren't expected. The boat would certainly run and drive and function if you chose too, but would look horrible. And there were a few scary spots that had obvious poorly done previous repairs.

Oh well. I really appreciate your help and passion for these boats. My hunt will have to continue for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find another 19 soon.

ziggy

Admiral

bummer that didn't work out for you...
there are a few out there... try this link...http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&itm=aristocraft&fil= every now and then a nice one comes along... the funliner looks pretty nice. albeit the 110 i/o. not sure, but parts may be hard to get for that one.. nice looking boat though..

check out the one for sale in my hood (lincoln, ne.) too... ??? the brown one w/bottom paint.. check your pm in a bit (i still gotta write the 'pm'). i'll let ya in on a little bit more on that one..

Dhopper71

Seaman

Thanks again Z! Got your pm, too. Great heads up info.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled!

motherofdog

Cadet

Hi Hopper,

There is a really nice looking one for sale in Blairsville, GA. It's a beautiful blue. It definately needs an engine-but I thought the boat itself looked great. Not sure how much they are asking.