Aristocraft 19 120hp

I am looking at a Aristocraft 19 1977. It has a 120 hp mercruiser. I know most come with a 165. What is your opinions on this. I don't need the speed. But I would like to be able to tow at max person capacity. What are your thoughts? Anything else you suggest I really look for on these boats? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iBOATS.

I had an Aristocraft 19 with the M/C 120.

What do you mean by tow? I'm guessing water sports - Yes, you can tow tubes and skiers. Not great for skiing, but OK for getting wet The max capacity part - 6 persons and they should be small. The standard seating is 2 back to back lounge seats and 2 jump seats on either side of the doghouse. 6 adults crowd the cockpit and the weight distribution isn't that great. 4 persons or less is better for boat handing.

They aren't wood-free, more like minimal wood. The transom is wood but very small, not full width like many other boats. The deck has 2 wood covers, one for a ski locker and one for a cooler or fish box type thing. All 6 seating areas have wood backing.

I wish I still had my 9-Teen. Some parts are still available at http://www.aristocraftboats.com/index.html

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the boat is ok (infact, I like them), the motor is the smallest I/O you can get - read as it will not be great for watersports

if you love the boat, at a minimum, swap out the 2.5 liter and drop in a 3.0 (bolts right in) and gives you a bit more power, then have a bunch of props of various pitch on board for either cruising or water sports.

however if it was me, I would replace the whole motor and drive with a 4.3 / A1G2

the boat is ok (infact, I like them), the motor is the smallest I/O you can get - read as it will not be great for watersports

if you love the boat, at a minimum, swap out the 2.5 liter and drop in a 3.0 (bolts right in) and gives you a bit more power, then have a bunch of props of various pitch on board for either cruising or water sports.

however if it was me, I would replace the whole motor and drive with a 4.3 / A1G2

What do you think that would cost parts and labor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you are going pay for the conversion, you would be better off finding another boat.

Before making a decision, what do you plan on using the boat for? A 120 may suit your needs, it may not.

If you are going pay for the conversion, you would be better off finding another boat.

Before making a decision, what do you plan on using the boat for? A 120 may suit your needs, it may not.

I would just like it to be able to tow a skier, tube, or wake surfer with passengers on board. I guess five on board and one being towed. Or up to five or less. Thoughts? Anyone have one with some input to towing capabilities? Probably most be wake surfing.

ziggy

Admiral
I don't need the speed
then the 120 will be fine imho.
swap out the 2.5 liter and drop in a 3.0 (bolts right in) and gives you a bit more power, then have a bunch of props of various pitch on board for either cruising or water sports.
if that's true. that'd be something to look into. i think the 120 is rated at the crank, the 3.0's are rated at the prop. that would be a significant increase in hp. that'd likely be more than my 165 L6 is. i've never figured out what the prop hp is on my 165, but i'd guess it's less than 135 of the 3.0. the Nineteen is a light boat. so prop shaft rated 135 would be great imho.
I would just like it to be able to tow a skier, tube, or wake surfer with passengers on board. I guess five on board and one being towed. Or up to five or less.
imho, that seems optimistic. the boat is very weight sensitive imho. 4 is about the max people i like to take on board my Nineteen. if i put two of those people in the aft seating. the boat struggles to get on plane with high bow rise. with 4 people seated in the fwd 4 seats it's much better with much less bow rise and gets on plane pretty quik. but not as quick as the my normal load of 2 people. with 2 people the boat jumps on plane with little bow rise.

while i've never had the 120 version, from the experience with my 165, i'd guess that 120 is gonna be a little lame, specially if ya start adding some extra load of people let alone adding people while attempting to do tow water sports.

They aren't wood-free, more like minimal wood. The transom is wood but very small, not full width like many other boats. The deck has 2 wood covers, one for a ski locker and one for a cooler or fish box type thing. All 6 seating areas have wood backing.
i agree with this statement and have found it to be true.

hope it works out for you. they are dandy boats and i'd recommend them to anyone. maybe not quite for what you intend to do with it though. imho, the Nineteen is a great pleasure boat and it can do many things. but they are not specifically made to do any one thing great, ie, skiing, wake boarding, wake surfing, pleasure boating, fishing etc. imho, the Nineteen is best as a pleasure boat which is what i use mine for. they are also real good in nasty weather though they do rock and roll quite a bit in high surf. but i have never felt in secure in it. more like i have felt secure in it. most sea worthy imho.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I carried 1-2 different props on my 3.0. one 15p for skiing and trolling, a 17p once in a while and a 19p for cruising. and that boat was 16.5 feet long

if you like the boat get it. you can always repower it later. however with the 120hp 2.5 liter you wont have 6 people in it while towing anyone on skiis or a tube. there just isnt enough power there to get the boat out of the hole

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Back in the day, I was running a 250/165 Mercruiser in a A19 I pulled my 300 lb, 6ft+ buddy on a slalom while carrying 2 kids, 2 avg size women and my self. The boat did not have the hardtop. We did have to get as much weight forward to get to bow down. No trim tabs . Once up I had no problems pulling him. (fast enough to split his suit when he fell off his ski)

He had a 120 mercruiser in a A19 without a hardtop, his wife would pull him on a slalom with their 8 yr old son as a watcher. It was a tough pull but he was a good skier and helped himself get up.

Both boats were new at the time so the drivetrains would have been at full performance