My ArenaCraft

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My ArenaCraft

Thanks for the pictures keep'em coming. as for the hatch I think it just wood screws on hinges to remove very simple. Zet

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Bad news... Lifters are collapsed and the bearings are spun... $$$$$ : (

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

If I get away from this under $3k, I'll be very lucky... Like I have $3k to toss around...

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Zet,

I bought a couple of Kawasaki Windshield Vents. Since the ArenaCraft Windshield is plexiglass, I'm going to have them mounted low on each side to try to add a little more wind behind the windshield... I figured, to heck with the integrity of the original windshield... It'll look ok and I'll be cooler...

What do you think?

Den

Attachments

• Windshield Vent.jpg
    Windshield Vent.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That will work, look good too, take you time doing it though...did'nt know the windshield was plexi, mine is glass..

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I knocked on it a while and it didn't sound or feel like real glass... The guy at the shop said he thought it was plexi too... I hope so... Otherwise, I just bought $100 worth of motorcycle windshield vents through eBay, and I have no motorcycle...

Oh no Denning sorry to hear about your engine! :(
I look forward to seeing those vents installed though.

I'm getting ready to start the resto job on mine. I just finished one of my other boats and I think i have it sold. I cant wait. I'll start a new thread when its time.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

I just got the Vents in today. They look like they may angle a little more than I'd like, but all in all, I think they're going to work ok... I'm gonna see how they are going to fit tomorrow.

I'll get pictures once I'm done... Could be something you might want to try...

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Well... Not sure how I'm going to do this...

Unless I can someone who can cut out the template with a hot-knife, I may be afraid to try cutting the windshield. Let's face it, it's 40 years old and the plexiglas could shatter under the vibration of a skill saw.

If anyone has any idea's, let me know...

They make whats called a hotwire for cutting through plexi. Check out Tap Plastics. Not sure to what thickness its good for but worth a shot.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bill...

I'll check it out and let my boat guy know about it. Fortunately, I'm on my way there this afternoon to see how the engine rebuild went, so maybe I'll have some info for putting these vents in.

Denning you're in TX right? Is this weather close to you? I hope you and your family are safe.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Bill...

Yep, I'm about 100 miles east of Dallas and just a bit south... Right in the path.

I'm going out to the lake to get my boat off the lift and out of the (50 year old) boat house tomorrow morning. My pontoon boat is already off the lake having some maintenance work, so it'll be a couple of weeks before it gets back in it's slip.

From my experience in the past, we will probably have 40 to 50 mph sustained winds, with possibilities of tornado's (starting in the early AM Saturday), and gusts around 80 mph (through Monday morning)...

When Rita came through, I lost 18 trees. One of them was a 160 year old Black Jack Oak that dropped in the dog run. Good thing we had the dog in the house at the time.

We'll be safe, but I appreciate the concern.

Denning

Kit Arena

Recruit

Mr. Zetman: I noticed that you are missing a windshield! I believe that you can still get a plexiglass windshield from Taylor Windshields in Texas. I remember when Taylor ran out of old Hudson Hornet back windows and could no longer provide a safety glass version. We substituted it with the plexigass model from Taylor. Not as good, but it kept the bugs otta da teeth.

regards:

Kit Arena

Kit Arena

Recruit

I remember the Photo Session from that brocure!!

It was done at Lake Berryessa in Norhern Ca. We took the photos on a fly bridge cruiser. I was on the helm maneuvering the boat for the photographer. My cousin and some clean cut college types were the models, as well as my dad's partner (financial) Larry Highby and his wife. Larry, bieng to old eastcoast frat type needed a bunch of frat types for the photos. (I did'nt qualify). LOL! (I got even by creating a few wakes at inoppurtune times just to **** em off!

Kit Arena

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the original windshield still (wrapped in a blanket in the attic) My dad years ago took it off. He thought it looked more sporty and you did'nt cook from the heat so much running without it. He was always going to put a spolier on instead but never got around to it, also, he was going to install a bimini to it and never did. As soon as I got it I put the top on. It was very hard to drill holes in the deck for the braces..drilling holes in this boat was like drilling on a 60's Vett to me. But, having a family, the shade was more inportant since the dark green upholstery is the original tuck-in-roll. Thanks for the info all the same.
Zet

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Kit,

Thanks for the info on the windshield replacements, through Taylor's. I have been toying with the idea of inserting a couple of Honda GoldWing Vents on each side of my windshield, to let some air through. It gets pretty hot behind the windshield, here in Texas, when the temps get up to triple digits in July & August.

I just haven't had the kahonis to cut into a 40 year old plexiglass windshield yet. And even if the installation were to go well, I'm afraid that the bouncing on the water could cause cracks... At least I know, that f I try it, I have a place to go to get a replacement, in the event of a disaster.

I'm thinking about some other, less invasive, alternatives for getting more air behind the windshield... I know that Zet just took his off completely, and that's a possibility.

Any suggestions?

Denning

Creeper86

Recruit

Seems it's been awhile since anyone has posted. I just found this forum today and am glad it exists... I see some great looking boats...

I have a '69 Arena Craft and recently I brought back the metal flake; re-built the 350. Runs like a champ.... does about 53MPH and has great torque....

Original Upholstery is just starting to go in front, passenger side... will have to re-do along with carpet.... too bad, but is a real head turner.... looks exactly like the '68 (green) that has been posted... ill post pics soon... hopefully this forum is continuing as I don't see a post for a year... thanks for the pics and safe boating.

allenhoyt

Recruit

This is a Arena craft that my Dad and I are going to restore. It's a 1961, that originally as far as what I have been able to find out, had a Buehler Turbo Craft pump drive. I think I have gotten a line on the original engine and pump for it. If anyone has any info on this model I would love to hear from you. It is a 1961, 21 footer.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?=31274&d=1245707139

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?=31273&d=1245707054

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?=31268&d=1245705069

Thanks.......

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Creeper,

Mine is a '68 with a Chevy big block 454. The original engine was a 327 and still has the original transmission and propeller (which is a bit too small for the 454), so I have to be careful not to let the RPMs get too high. Do you have any pictures of yours?