Aquasport 246 project

depty933

Cadet
So my brother bought a 1976 Aquasport 246 for a song. It was advertised for $2000 but he got the guy down to $1100 including the trailer. Only problem is that he is not very mechanically inclined and is depending on me and our mechanic friend to fix-er-up. So I decided to post a new thread keeping up with our progress. He picked up the boat last Friday. It has no motor, no steering wheel, no guages, no seats and no controls. Boat seems to be solid and a lot of work was done to the boat's hull with paint and so forth. I'm pretty excited to go through this adventure with my brother because I've never taken on a project this big. Also it appears to be a great size boat for us to take salt water fishing with enough room for all the boys to fish.

We found a possible donor boat with a (1977) 175 Evinrude on Craigslist that was supposed to run strong but had a problem with the lower unit. That would be fine because our mechanic friend has a lower unit for a 175 Evinrude with about 1 hour on it since a rebuild that he would donate and put together. Donor boat was advertised at $350. We drove two hours to look at the boat. Good thing we took our mechanic friend who first thing did a compression check on the motor. One cylinder only had 60 psi. That obviously would require a complete rebuild so we opted not to use this engine. We bought the boat for $125 because the tilt worked on the motor and it had some really cool gauges. Easily worth $125 and we didnt come home empty handed. Also the trailer had two brand new tires. We pulled it home 2 hours with out any hiccups.

Going to look at a bass boat with a (1987) 200 Evinrude tomorrow that might be a possible donor boat as well. Called the guy who said the boat was pretty much rotten. Transom and stringers completely rotten but motor supposed to run good. We shall see....

I'm posting some pics of the "project" boat and asking for any advice from any Aquasport enthusiasts.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 0

chriscraft254

Commander
Now thats a great find at that price!:) You will definately want to join classicaquasport.com. Those guys will be able to point you in the right direction with anything on that boat. But keep the thread going here also so we can check out what you do to her. Goodluck with the project.

depty933

Cadet
Re: Aquasport 246 project

Heres some pics of the first donor boat we bought. Boat is pretty much no good but we are going to strip parts off of it. I think these guages are pretty cool, I just don't know if we will be able to use this carbon fiber bezel in the Aquasport.

Attachments

• CIMG0013.jpg
    CIMG0013.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0023.jpg
    CIMG0023.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0018.jpg
    CIMG0018.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0

depty933

Cadet

This is the motor we are currently looking into. It is a 1987 Evinrude 200 HP. Anybody know much about the reputation of these? It is a VRO and looks like the VRO is still hooked up. I don't trust the VRO. If we put this motor on the boat, I would either bypass or do away with the VRO. Other than that, we did a compression check on the engine. It had between 99 to 110 on all 6 cylinders. That is a little low to me but my mechanic friend said that it might come up a little after it was run and got some oil on those rings. We couldn't get it to fire off today. Hasn't run in a while and the gas was bad.

Attachments

• CIMG0004.jpg
    CIMG0004.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0006.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0005.jpg
    CIMG0005.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

Congratulations on the new (to you) Aquasport. The steering and controls are pretty much a bolt on job. You shouldn't have much trouble there. A couple of other things that you might want to check out is for any soft wood in the transom, especially where holes have been drilled for motor mounting or where transducers and trim tabs were attached. Look up under the decks on the sides to make sure there is no de-lamination there. If the tank has old gas in it .... get rid of it and clean the tank. I would also replace the 34 year old gas lines with new ethanol resistant ones. Also a new primer bulb and a 10 micron water separating gas filter. Your motor will thank you!

I am about 10 months along on the restoration of a 1975 22-2, with about 90% complete. That included a new deck, and a new transom that is now set up for a 25" shaft motor.

008.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG

depty933

Cadet

Yesterday, we made a deal for the 200 XP Evinrude motor. The guy had come down from $2000 to $1500 but my expert negotiator brother wound up getting the whole thing for $500. Like my previous post stated, we didn't really want the boat as it is not worth fixing due to all the rotten transom and stringer. The engine appears to be pretty clean. We did hear it fire off yesterday but it's going to need some carburator cleaning. We plan on starting on that today. Once we get it running decent we are going to start the swap over to the Aquasport.

Attachments

• CIMG0032.jpg
    CIMG0032.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0030.jpg
    CIMG0030.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0029.jpg
    CIMG0029.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0