AquaSport or Trophy...More Reliable for Fishing/Shuttling Kids

fpdiver

Seaman Apprentice
We use our moored boat for near shore fishing and transporting young kids to the clamming grounds and to little islands in a large salt pond. We are looking for a RELIABLE, low maintenance boat.

Right now we have an older Angler bowrider and a 1990 Force outboard and we are looking for a reliable, low maintenance (no leather/vinyl since it is moored) boat in the 10k-14k range.

Two boats that look viable are 2001/200219 foot CCs from trophy and AquaSport. I think AS is a better boat but them out of business I am worried.

So how does AS rank compared to Bayliner's Trophy boats. Any concern with AS being OOB?

Is a 2001 AS wood free?

thanks for your help

ccckirch

Cadet
Re: AquaSport or Trophy...More Reliable for Fishing/Shuttling Kids

Aquasport is not exactly " out of business." They are/were a division of Wellcraft which is owned by Genmar. Genmar is by all means still in business and honoring any warranty issues on Aquasports.
Boat quality was not the issue working against Aquasport. The hulls are solid. The weak boat market has all manufacturers looking to consolidate product lines to cut costs.
I own a 01 Apuasport and am totally satisfied with it. All else fairly equal the Aquasport is th easy choice.

I agree that Aquasport is a better boat. I'm biased, however, being that I own 4, yes, 4 Aquasports. That and the fact that my Father-in-law was president of Aquasport for 25+ years. The reason Genmar stopped producing Aquasports was that Aquasports were selling at a better price point than comparable Wellcrafts, with less profit. I can't speak about Trophy, but I do know that Aquasports are well built, solid boats.The newest AS I own are a 1993 210 and a 1993 230. These boats do have plywood coring in the decks, but I haven't had any issues related to the wood coring.

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have a 1996, 20' (2002 model) Trophy w/a Force 120. It does the job and I've been happy with mine! Simple engine and simple design. Cuddy enough room for small kids, mine are teens now. Engine power?, Should've gone with the 150, but it was a boat show special at a fair price. I would recommend the Trophy if you are boating on a lake or bay. I'm not so comfortable in the ocean but I know Trophy owners who use it on the ocean to fish. You want simple and inexpensive, take a look at the Trophy. Want Quality - go for the Aquasport.